If a=b then integral(a) = integral(b) .... 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x) ?

• Thread starter Wanted
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equality of two integrals, a and b, when a = b. The integrals are evaluated using different techniques, but the result is not always equal due to the addition of a constant value. The conversation also touches on the importance of considering the boundaries when evaluating integrals.
Wanted
Am I missing something?

if a = b then

Integral a = Integral b

a = dx/2x and b = dx/2x

a = (1/2) (dx/x) =
b = [dx/(2x)]

So far so good...Integral of a .. let U = x, du = dx

Integral of a = (1/2) ln|x| + C

Integral of b... let U = 2x, du = 2 dx (multiple by (1/2) to balance out numerator only being 1)
(1/2) Integral (du/u)

Integral of b = (1/2) ln|2x| + C

But wait... (1/2) ln|x| =/= (1/2) ln|2x|

So did I mess something up or is integral (a) not always = to integral (b) given a = b.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You scammed by hiding the difference in the constant. Your C's aren't equal.

Wanted said:
du = 2
du = 2 dx

fresh_42 said:
You scammed by hiding the difference in the constant. Your C's aren't equal.

Help me understand why they aren't equal. Surely there isn't a difference between using one integration technique over the other?
tony873004 said:
du = 2 dx

Yes.. updated... but unfortunately that does not change or resolve the issue here or explain any confusion.

Last edited:
Wanted said:
Help me understand why they aren't equal. Surely there isn't a difference between using one integration technique over the other?
Sure there is. The boundaries change. If you ignore them by hiding them in the C you could add any constant value, e.g. ##-\frac{1}{2}ln2##.

fresh_42 said:
Sure there is. The boundaries change. If you ignore them by hiding them in the C you could add any constant value, e.g. ##-\frac{1}{2}ln2##.
Yea that's right. I just evaluated the definite integral from 1 to 2 and they were equal then. I suppose my real confusion is coming from some where else in my (parent) equation (not this one) I'll have to get back to you in a bit.

Related to If a=b then integral(a) = integral(b) .... 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x) ?

1. What is the meaning of "If a=b then integral(a) = integral(b)"?

The statement "If a=b then integral(a) = integral(b)" is a mathematical theorem known as the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. It states that if two functions, a(x) and b(x), are equal to each other, then their integrals will also be equal.

2. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus apply to the equation 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x)?

The equation 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x) does not satisfy the conditions of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus because the functions 1/2lnx and 1/2ln(2x) are not equal to each other. Therefore, their integrals will also not be equal.

3. Can you provide an example to illustrate the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

One example of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is the equation ∫(2x)dx = x^2 + C, where C is a constant. This means that if we take the integral of 2x, we will get the function x^2 plus some constant value. This applies to any function, not just polynomials.

4. Is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus always true?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a proven mathematical theorem and is always true as long as the conditions are satisfied. However, there are some exceptions, such as the equation 1/2lnx =/= 1/2ln(2x), which we discussed earlier.

5. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus used in real-world applications?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus has many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities that are represented by mathematical functions. It is also used in economics, probability, and other fields that involve the use of integrals.