Identifying Major or Minor Arc on a Circle: How Do Three Points Help?

In summary, a major circular arc is a portion of a circle that spans more than 180 degrees, while a minor circular arc spans less than 180 degrees. To calculate the length of a major or minor circular arc, the formula L = rθ is used, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle in radians. The central angle can be found by dividing the arc length by the radius and converting the result. A major or minor circular arc can also be a complete circle if it spans 360 degrees. In this case, the arc length is equal to the circumference of the circle, 2πr.
jrm2002
I have 3 points defined on an arc of a circle.I need to identify whether they lie on the major arc or minor arc.How is it possible?

I know the three points.
I know the radius of the circle

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There are three possible arcs, since anyone of the points can be defined to be the interior point.

Related to Identifying Major or Minor Arc on a Circle: How Do Three Points Help?

1. What is a major circular arc?

A major circular arc is a portion of a circle that spans more than 180 degrees. It is also known as a "large" or "long" arc.

2. How is a minor circular arc different from a major circular arc?

A minor circular arc is a portion of a circle that spans less than 180 degrees. It is also known as a "small" or "short" arc.

3. What is the formula for calculating the length of a major or minor circular arc?

The formula for calculating the length of a major or minor circular arc is L = rθ, where L is the arc length, r is the radius of the circle, and θ is the central angle of the arc in radians.

4. How do you find the central angle of a major or minor circular arc?

The central angle of a major or minor circular arc can be found by dividing the arc length by the radius of the circle and converting the result to degrees or radians, depending on the unit of measurement used in the problem.

5. Can a major or minor circular arc be a complete circle?

Yes, a major or minor circular arc can be a complete circle if the arc spans 360 degrees (or 2π radians). In this case, the arc length would be equal to the circumference of the circle, which is equal to 2πr.