Ideas merging nuclear science & renewable energy technology

In summary, the senior design partners are looking for a collaborative project that incorporates nuclear science/engineering with the technology used in renewable energy engineering. They are doubtful they would have access to beta emitting isotopes, but they are open to research possibilities. Cost efficiency, polluting, and legal guidelines are important considerations.
aamphys
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a senior design project idea that incorporates nuclear science/engineering with the technology used in renewable energy engineering.

My partner and I have found the idea of betavoltaics but doubt we'd have the required beta sources available in our labs.

The project could also be based on energy storage design or any idea that could be applicable to both, nuclear and renewable energy.

Your help is much appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Beta emitting isotopes are not renewable since the particular radionuclide must be created to replace what decays. The idea behind beta sources would be to collect the electrons in a direct conversion system. This is a challenge. Otherwise, one has to use the thermal energy from the particles slowing down and convert the thermal to mechanical (find the ideal thermodynamic cycle) and then convert mechanical to electrical, which is usually done with a turbine-generator set.

Renewables like geothermal, solar, hydro and wind are renewable in the sense that humans don't need to create the energy source, but simply tap into what the Earth and sun produce as energy.

Yes, absolutely sir.

My senior design partner is from renewable energy engineering while I am from nuclear science which is why we are looking for a collaborative project in which we both can apply our knowledge and skills

The only reason we saw betavoltaics as nuclear + renewable technology was because it uses semiconductor technology (SiC in particular) which is similar to the photovoltaic panels used to capture solar radiation. A direct conversion system would be more efficient than this for sure. We'll have to research to see if our university can be accommodating.

aamphys said:
Yes, absolutely sir.

My senior design partner is from renewable energy engineering while I am from nuclear science which is why we are looking for a collaborative project in which we both can apply our knowledge and skills

The only reason we saw betavoltaics as nuclear + renewable technology was because it uses semiconductor technology (SiC in particular) which is similar to the photovoltaic panels used to capture solar radiation. A direct conversion system would be more efficient than this for sure. We'll have to research to see if our university can be accommodating.
aamphys said:
Yes, absolutely sir.

Thats a bit of an expensive build though don't you think? even if its successful it is highly unlikely you will generate enough to make it cost efficent (in comparison to a regular generator) not to mention since your talking about using solar equipment you will likely end up doing a lot of polluting, you should spend extra time on your safety precautions and legal guidelines before you start, other than that good luck.

Cost efficient, polluting & legal guidelines?
It's a freaking final year engineering project, none of that matters.

All that matters is whether the school has the facilities & will provide sufficient funds.They just want to see that you can design & build something that applies the skills you've learned.

I think it's a great idea.

Related to Ideas merging nuclear science & renewable energy technology

1. What are the advantages of merging nuclear science and renewable energy technology?

The merging of nuclear science and renewable energy technology can bring about several benefits. Firstly, it can increase the efficiency and reliability of renewable energy sources by providing a steady and consistent source of energy. Additionally, it can reduce the carbon footprint and environmental impact of energy production, as nuclear power plants emit significantly less greenhouse gases compared to traditional fossil fuel plants. It can also create new job opportunities and drive economic growth in the clean energy sector.

2. How does nuclear science play a role in renewable energy technology?

Nuclear science can contribute to renewable energy technology in several ways. One example is through the development of small modular reactors (SMRs), which use nuclear fission to generate heat that can be used to power turbines and produce electricity. These SMRs can be integrated with renewable energy sources such as wind and solar, providing a more reliable and efficient energy source. Nuclear science can also be used to improve the storage and conversion of renewable energy, making it more viable for large-scale use.

3. What are the challenges in merging nuclear science and renewable energy technology?

One of the main challenges in merging nuclear science and renewable energy technology is the cost. Building and operating nuclear power plants can be expensive, and integrating them with renewable energy sources may require significant investments. There are also concerns about the safety and waste management of nuclear power, which need to be carefully addressed. Additionally, there may be regulatory and political barriers to overcome in order to implement this type of energy integration.

4. Are there any current examples of successful integration of nuclear science and renewable energy technology?

Yes, there are several examples of successful integration of nuclear science and renewable energy technology. For instance, in France, nuclear power provides about 70% of the country's electricity, while the remaining 30% comes from renewable sources. Another example is the Vogtle Electric Generating Plant in Georgia, USA, which uses both nuclear and solar power to generate electricity. In addition, countries such as Japan and South Korea are investing in research and development to further integrate nuclear and renewable energy sources.

5. How can the merging of nuclear science and renewable energy technology help with global energy sustainability?

The merging of nuclear science and renewable energy technology can play a crucial role in achieving global energy sustainability. By diversifying energy sources and reducing reliance on fossil fuels, it can help to mitigate climate change and reduce air pollution. It can also contribute to energy security by providing a more stable and resilient energy supply. Furthermore, it can foster technological advancements and innovations that can help us transition to a more sustainable energy future.