How Can Innovative Technologies Enhance Wheelchairs for Dogs with Disabilities?

• Thread starter nmalihi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Aluminum
nmalihi
Hello everyone,

I am working on my final project for mechanical engineering, which is to design a wheelchair for a dog with paralyzed back legs. I am looking for some innovative concepts to incorporate into the design and would be happy for your help.
I've thought of a few ideas and so far I'm on:
Using a lightweight aluminum chassis for maneuverability.
Shock braking between connected wheels for a smoother ride.
A folding roof to protect the dog from the sun.
Beyond these initial ideas that feel insufficient to me, I am interested in examining the composition of technologies or other industries that can be adapted to a wheelchair.
I am open to anything from creative steering mechanisms and improved product to make the wheelchair as comfortable and functional as possible for the dog.
Do any of you have any ideas that can help?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
nmalihi said:
A folding roof to protect the dog from the sun.
Unnecessary "feature creep", IMO. Protection from the sun isn't very well correlated with aid in walking.
You don't want extra complexity in transport and assembly. You don't want the chair hitting things. There is a trade off, for example, between the wheel base (width) which should be wide for good stability but narrow to avoid hitting obstacles. A minimalist design that avoids unnecessary cost, weight, size, effort, etc. will work best.

Welcome to PF.

nmalihi said:
I am working on my final project for mechanical engineering
Thread moved to the schoolwork forums.

What constraints have you put on this project so far? What size range of dogs? What price range? What weight range? What kinds of disabilities are you trying to address with your wheelchair?

The more you can post about the constraints, the more suggestions we may have.