IB Extended Essay: Physics Topic w/ Home Materials

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding an easy topic for a 4000 word extended essay based on physics that could be experimented with using home materials. The suggestion of experimenting with wifi directional antennas was brought up, with examples of how it could be done and the potential for substantial gain. Another idea suggested was exploring the argument of whether electromagnetic waves from cell phones, power lines, and wireless technology are harmful to humans. However, the topic was deemed too broad and possibly straying away from physics.
quantumdoodle
Hi guys
I'm planning to write my 4000 word extended essay based on physics, is there any topic that's easy to conduct a experiment with home-materials?
I'm think something in electromagnetism would be great. please help

Physics news on Phys.org
How about experimenting with wifi directional antennas? If you have home wireless, you could use a notebook computer to measure the signal strength at various distances. Then get a USB stick wifi adapter, put it on a USB extension cord and take the measurements again. Then try putting the USB adapter inside a tin can, metal bowl, mesh made of wire, etc. See how much better the reception is. There are some sites on the net giving examples that produced substantial gain. Some RVs sport such antennas to get the wifi signal in large campsites.

hmmm nice idea, thank! well, it's just that i can't think up thing that's argumentitive, how can a science topic be argumentative... not like I'm doing relativity right now

Argumentative . . . how about "are EM waves from cell phones, power lines and wireless harmful to humans?

hmmm... not sure, it's a pretty broad topic and kindda going away from physics... well thanks for the help anyways

Related to IB Extended Essay: Physics Topic w/ Home Materials

1. What is the IB Extended Essay in Physics with Home Materials?

The IB Extended Essay is an independent research project that is a required component of the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme. It allows students to explore a topic in-depth and apply their knowledge and skills to conduct an original investigation. In this case, the essay is focused on a physics topic that can be studied using materials found at home.

2. What are some examples of physics topics that can be studied with home materials?

Some examples of physics topics that can be studied with home materials include investigating the relationship between temperature and the elasticity of rubber bands, analyzing the motion of a pendulum made with a string and a weight, and examining the factors that affect the speed of a homemade paper airplane.

3. How can I ensure that my IB Extended Essay in Physics with Home Materials is successful?

To ensure success with your IB Extended Essay, it is important to choose a topic that you are genuinely interested in and passionate about. This will make the research process more enjoyable and motivate you to put in your best effort. It is also crucial to plan and manage your time effectively, conduct thorough research, and seek guidance from your supervisor.

4. Can I use advanced equipment and materials for my investigation?

No, the IB Extended Essay in Physics with Home Materials is specifically designed to be conducted using materials that can be found at home. This allows all students to have equal access to resources and ensures that the focus is on the scientific process rather than the availability of expensive equipment.

5. How important is the writing aspect of the IB Extended Essay in Physics with Home Materials?

The writing aspect of the essay is essential as it demonstrates your ability to communicate your research and findings effectively. In addition, your essay will be assessed based on criteria such as organization, analysis and interpretation of data, and the use of scientific language. Therefore, it is crucial to pay attention to the quality of your writing and seek feedback from your supervisor to improve it.