Is a Dual-Stage Coilgun a Viable Topic for an IB Physics Extended Essay?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of choosing a subject and topics for an extended essay in Physics. The individual is considering an experimental paper on building a multi-stage electromagnetic projectile accelerator or coilgun, but is unsure due to limited background knowledge. Suggestions are made to focus on a smaller, more manageable topic and to consider safety and time limitations. The individual also mentions a previous successful essay on a similar topic.
bignik
Hello!
I'm currently in my junior year at an IB school. It is time to choose the subject and the topics for our extended essays, and I am thoroughly convinced of writing an experimental paper in Physics. The point is that I need help on the topics. One fundamental problem is that they ask us to take such important decision before the end of the first semester in our first IB year, which, from a certain point of view is good because we work in advance, but on the other hand we do not have a sufficient knowledge of the subject to judge which areas interest us the most.
As a matter of fact, I have little background information on which to base my decision as all we have covered in the course up until now is physical measurements + error propagation and machanics.

Nonetheless, I have one idea which I think is feasible (but then again I cannot be certain as I do not have sufficient background knowledge) and it would be to build a multi-stage (probably dual) electromagnetic projectile accelerator or coilgun.
It would consist in placing a ferromagnetic sphere in a barrel which is surrounded by two solenoids (powered by capacitors). As the projectile is accelerated by the magnetic field, as it approaches a given (calculated I presume) point between the coils, the first solenoid would have to be shut off. I was thinking of doing this through a microcontroller such as the Arduino (which can be easily set up through some C coding) which would be triggered by the closing of a simple circuit given by the bullet crossing the given point in the barrel.
My experiment could consist in comparing some "output" values such as velocity/acceleration/Kinetic Energy of the projectile to changing "input" values such as voltage, current, capacitance. Or I could calculate efficiency and similar calculations.

...i honestly donno because, as I said, my knowledge on the subject is very limited. Nonetheless, I am certain that the necessary information is part of the syllabus, its just that we haven't covered it yet.

What do you think of this idea?
Any other ideas would be very much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nonetheless, I have one idea which I think is feasible (but then again I cannot be certain as I do not have sufficient background knowledge) ...

Then how is it a feasible experiment/essay for you to do?

Nonetheless, I am certain that the necessary information is part of the syllabus, its just that we haven't covered it yet.

You're sure that the necessary information to build a coilgun/railgun/whatever is in the syllabus?

I suggest you tone down your project/essay and do a well written one using topics that are covered, ie, make it more simple and do it very well.

What General-Sax said. I think your first task is to focus on the SPECIFICS of what topics your essay is going to cover. The general idea of "a railgun or coilgun" might sound cool, but there are thousands of websites about those topics (ranging from serious engineering and science, down to complete garbage) so whatever you write it may LOOK to the examiners as if you plagiarized most of it, even if you didn't!

I would suggest you select a "smaller" topic where you can design an experiment to investigate or demonstrate some phenomenon, and (most important since this is a science project) MEASURE something. That experiment could be something to do with electromagnetism that could be used as part of the process of designing a coil/railgun if you want, but just "building a gun and getting it to work as well as you can" is too unfocused, and probably a far too big a project for the time you have.

If you haven't done much "original" experimental work before, you will find that everything takes MUCH longer that you thought it would (usually because nothing works properly the first time, and sometimes it still doesn't work the tenth of hundredth time.) Find out how much time you should be allocating to this part of your TOTAL course work. I don't know any details about the IB, but I would be surprised if you were meant to be spending hundreds of hours on this one essay.

You might also want to think about "boring" stuff like health and safety. What you do with a coil gun in your own back yard is your own affair, but what you can do in a school or college lab might be more restricted, for the obvious reasons.

Hey! Thanks for answering!
General Sax, the main point of an experimental Extended Essay is that it is supposed to investigate something that is not within the Syllabus but that has its fundaments lying within it.
This case, I believe, does satisfy these requirements, as the information necessary for circuit calculations is within the syllabus. Similarly, coils and electromagnetism are covered. Yet, applications of such concepts with the integration of electronics (the microcontroller) would be carrying it beyond what is discussed in class.
This said, I would also like to thankyou, AlephZero, too for your observation. You say that the important thing is measuring something. The point is that I do. As I said, I would be investigating the relationship between some input value such as voltage or capacitance and the resulting effect on the accelerated bullet.

By the way, I am basing such an approach to my essay on the fact that a senior from last year at my school wrote an extended essay building a Parabolic Trogh Collector and discussing its (measured) efficiency. In his conclusion, he compared it with the (measured) efficiency of a commercial solar oven. He ultimately earned top marks.
In reference to what you said (AlephZero) regarding plagiarism, PTCs are, if possible, an even more discussed subject on the internet, with it being related to renewable energy etc., and he did not have any such problem. With the IB, as long as you cite sources and you verify their reliablity, you are fine.

I do realize that the project I'm proposing would be highly time consuming (as was his anyway) and would go beyond the theoretical 40 hours that the IB suggests for the Extended Essay, and that I realize is a problem.

At any rate, given these new considerations and batch of information, do your points of view (and consequently suggestions) alter in any way? :)

Hello! It's great to hear that you are interested in writing an experimental paper in Physics for your IB extended essay. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the requirements and are eager to start your research. I can understand your concern about not having enough background knowledge to make an informed decision about your topic, but I believe that your idea for a multi-stage electromagnetic projectile accelerator or coilgun is a good starting point.

Before finalizing your topic, I would suggest doing some more research and discussing your ideas with your Physics teacher or a mentor who can provide guidance and help you refine your experiment. You may also want to consider the feasibility and availability of resources and equipment for your experiment.

In terms of your proposed experiment, it is important to carefully consider the variables you will be testing and the methods you will use to measure them. You may also want to think about potential sources of error and how you can control for them in your experiment. Additionally, it would be beneficial to have a clear hypothesis and a well-defined research question that you will be investigating.

Overall, I think your idea has potential and with further research and guidance, you can develop a strong and well-executed extended essay in Physics. I would also suggest exploring other potential topics within the subject, such as electricity and magnetism or thermodynamics, to see if there are other areas that interest you and align with your current knowledge and skills. Best of luck with your extended essay!

1. What is the purpose of the Ib Extended Essay in Physics?

The purpose of the Ib Extended Essay in Physics is for students to conduct independent research and investigation into a specific topic within the field of physics. This allows students to deepen their understanding of physics concepts and develop critical thinking and research skills.

2. How long should the Ib Extended Essay in Physics be?

The Ib Extended Essay in Physics should be between 3,000 and 4,000 words in length. This includes all written material, but does not include diagrams, graphs, tables, equations, and citations.

3. What are the criteria for grading the Ib Extended Essay in Physics?

The Ib Extended Essay in Physics is graded based on five criteria: research question, approach, analysis and evaluation, conclusion and further research, and engagement. Each criterion is worth a maximum of 4 points, for a total of 20 points.

4. Can I choose any topic for my Ib Extended Essay in Physics?

Yes, you can choose any topic that falls within the field of physics. However, it is important to ensure that your topic is specific and focused enough to allow for in-depth research and analysis.

5. How should I structure my Ib Extended Essay in Physics?

The Ib Extended Essay in Physics should follow a standard essay structure, including an introduction, body paragraphs, and a conclusion. It is also important to include relevant diagrams, graphs, and equations to support your arguments and analysis.