IB Diploma: Physics Extended Essay Topic Ideas & Experiments

In summary, a high school student is looking for ideas for a physics essay on aerodynamics to be written as part of the IB Diploma Programme. They have 40 hours to spend on it and are able to conduct an experiment at home. A suggested website is provided, but the student is encouraged to find a topic they are passionate about.
lucas1
On IB Diploma Programme I have to write the essay in physics including 4000 words spending on it 40h and now I want to know the topic and what to investigate. Can You give me any ideas? I am a high school student and I can make an experiment in home conditions so do not exaggerate.

If you can find me a topic and experiment that are connected with aerodynamics it would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lucas1 said:
On IB Diploma Programme I have to write the essay in physics including 4000 words spending on it 40h and now I want to know the topic and what to investigate. Can You give me any ideas? I am a high school student and I can make an experiment in home conditions so do not exaggerate.

If u can find me a topic and experiment that are connected with aerodynamics it would be great.

http://www.juliantrubin.com/fairprojects/engineering/aviation.html

Visit this site it should have everything that you need.

I'm quite sure that part of the point of the essay is also picking the topic yourself. You say you're passionate about aerodynamics? Read some articles, find what sparks your interest.

Related to IB Diploma: Physics Extended Essay Topic Ideas & Experiments

1. What is the IB Diploma Physics Extended Essay?

The IB Diploma Physics Extended Essay is an independent research project that allows students to explore a specific topic within the field of physics. It is a requirement for students pursuing the IB Diploma and is intended to develop their research, writing, and critical thinking skills.

2. What are some good topic ideas for the Physics Extended Essay?

Some good topic ideas for the Physics Extended Essay include investigating the relationship between temperature and conductivity, analyzing the effect of different materials on the efficiency of solar panels, or exploring the physics behind musical instruments.

3. Do I need to conduct experiments for my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, conducting experiments is an important component of the Physics Extended Essay. These experiments should be designed, carried out, and analyzed by the student in order to support their research question and provide evidence for their conclusions.

4. Can I use simulations or models in my Physics Extended Essay?

Yes, simulations or models can be used in the Physics Extended Essay as long as they are relevant to the research question and are properly cited. However, it is important to also include experimental data to support the findings and conclusions.

5. How can I ensure that my Physics Extended Essay is successful?

To ensure a successful Physics Extended Essay, it is important to choose a research question that is specific, manageable, and relevant to the field of physics. Additionally, conducting thorough research, designing and carrying out well-planned experiments, and analyzing data critically are key components of a successful essay.