I with 12th grade ENGLISH in ENGLAND and MATH

• Thread starter QuantumTheory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's struggles with math and English in high school and their concerns about the upcoming AIM test. They mention having trouble with factoring and a 'mirror graph thing' in math, and feeling unprepared for the test due to not having completed all their math credits. They also express frustration with their English class, specifically with comprehension and the assigned literature. The speaker is seeking help and resources to improve their skills and prepare for the test.
QuantumTheory
OK let me explain. I go to a charter school, so the school is 4 hours and mostly on computers

Before high school my math was horrible. When I got into high school i made a deterimation to get good grades in math. At first, I didn't succeed. But I studied, and eventually I was getting all A's in math. I got a award from the rotary club for the most improved grades.

However, the problem is this.
I have trouble with factoring, and i remember taking the SAT and having trouble on this problem to do with 'mirrors' in an xy graph of functions
i am good with algebra however

however

when i was a freshmen in high school, when most students take calculus, i was taking essienals. Basic math. I passed that with an A. Went onto pre algebra, passed that. Went onto algebra 1, passed that. Then BOOM, I am transferred to another school that doesn't have homework, and then from there I am lost

I had a teacher that couldn't help me because she was so busy. I couldn't ask questions like i always did, everyday, constantly i was very inquisitive with my old regular high school

so i never got past algebra 1

then guess what?

here comes the AIM test for math
What do I do? Well, I realize I don't have ANY CLUE how to do the problems because I NEVER GOT THAT FAR IN MATH. So i answered the questions i knew, and the ones i didnt i just guessed. Test results come back, "far below average'. What the heck?

I was so pissed. I am good in math, and here I get this grade. I want to be a physicst even

so here i have to take it again

i have no clue where to start
but if someone could help me with factoring or that mirror graph thing that would be great
get this though, i forgot EVERYTHING even BASIC MATH, except algebra
i can't even do percents anymore

reason is i finished my math credits and don't have to do math

so I'm not getting in the practice
now I am really screwed
i don't even remember how to do fractions

:sigh:

this test comes in oct 25th too

another thing, in the second post here..

Physics news on Phys.org
ANOTHER THING, and this one is the biggie, worse than math.

because i was told IF I GRADUATED BEFORE DECEMBER, GET THIS, I DIDNT HAVE TO PASS THE AIMS MATH! IS THIS A LOAD OF BS OR WHAT? Can they EVEN DO THIS? What will happen when i go to college?

ANyway.

I have to do this english class. I go to special ed english because my english comprehension is HORRIBLE
however, the teacher can't help me because get this
I have to do over 30 lessons on the computer, each lesson 46 pages +, of guess where?
the 1600's, and now my most recent the 1816s where of all places?! ENGLAND! Oh god england, i live in america! I don't understand english slang!

ANd get this, they said this : 'As to test your comprehension, we are LEAVING OUT A BUNCH OF THE ORGINIAL STORY, so this may be confusing to you if you don't memorize all the literary deviecs.'

Here I have TROUBLE with comphrensation, even taking special ed english, which doesn't help becaues I am not actually in the english class there, and they tell me they ar leaving out the major points of the orginial story!?

Good lord.

The story is called "Jane Enrey" or something
anyone read it?

thanks

Most people have trouble with factoring. Someone on the forums can help you with it if you give a specific quesiton. This site might help you for English.

http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/janeeyre/

Dooga Blackrazor said:
Most people have trouble with factoring. Someone on the forums can help you with it if you give a specific quesiton. This site might help you for English.

Thanks so much for that link! It is the ULTIMATE cheet sheet! The problem is this. I have a Calculus For Dummies book. I have been told this book is junkb ecause it simplifies it too much
it has been very helpful to me. do you believe this?

Apparently there are 2 ways of factoring. The way I know, this way:
4x^2 + 4 = (2x + 2)(2x + 2) I probably did this wrong anyway.
And then there's the FOIL method. First, Outer, Inner, Last.
The FOIL confusues me! What ist he difference? Which one do I use??
I tried to factor using the FOIL method, it is impossibly hard! I can factor somewhat with PRACTICE using the other method.

Foil isn't for factoring, its for expansion. its saying that when you have (2x +2)(2x + 2) that you multiply that out by doing the firsts, the outsides, the innards and the lasts... DON'T bother learning foil. learn the distributive property.

as for factoring itself, you have the general idea. you probably just need practice.

Also, why do you even have clac for dummies if you're not taking any calculus? its not going to help you much with lower maths.

and mirroring a graph usually means to reflect a function over an axis. depending on what kinda of thinker you are, you can do it algebraically or geometrically. but find some problems and post in the math forums, that'll be more useful to you.

I've caught kids up on precalc stuff pretty fast when i tutored. i think you have enough time to cover what you need to cover. i'd go online and just find practice problems for things you need to understand.

Gale said:
Foil isn't for factoring, its for expansion. its saying that when you have (2x +2)(2x + 2) that you multiply that out by doing the firsts, the outsides, the innards and the lasts... DON'T bother learning foil. learn the distributive property.

as for factoring itself, you have the general idea. you probably just need practice.

Also, why do you even have clac for dummies if you're not taking any calculus? its not going to help you much with lower maths.

and mirroring a graph usually means to reflect a function over an axis. depending on what kinda of thinker you are, you can do it algebraically or geometrically. but find some problems and post in the math forums, that'll be more useful to you.

I've caught kids up on precalc stuff pretty fast when i tutored. i think you have enough time to cover what you need to cover. i'd go online and just find practice problems for things you need to understand.

Trust me, I know the distrubitive property. As I said, I can do algebra equations

I have the book because i am interested in higher math
I can't do trig either because factoring in trig is just as harder than factoring
could you give me an example of that mirror problem?
by the way, i got my study guide

it only goes thourgh 4 problems
a piece of junk it is

what do you think about not having to pass the math AIMS? is that BS or what?

thanks

i got out of a lot of tests by graduating early. yes its probably BS but I'm not going to knock it.

Anyway, why don't you make a thread in a math forum asking for the help with mirroring a graph and any other math issues you have. try doing your study guide, and let us know what problems arise.

glad you know the distributive property, like i said, forget about foil. its entirely useless.

Gale said:
i got out of a lot of tests by graduating early. yes its probably BS but I'm not going to knock it.

Anyway, why don't you make a thread in a math forum asking for the help with mirroring a graph and any other math issues you have. try doing your study guide, and let us know what problems arise.

glad you know the distributive property, like i said, forget about foil. its entirely useless.

glad to hear that. i heard about expanding in my algebra textbook, the later lessons. it said to expand it. so it is useless after all?
when do you use expanding?
I'll just wait for responses, here, I've posted a lot in forums today and I am a bit worn out with all the typing

hopefully someone here can resopnd and answer my question

thakns

FOIL is a dumbed-down way of teaching the distributive property in only one case. If you can distribute, you've already foiled. Don't worry about it.

Are you having trouble factoring polynomials, for example, how [tex]x^2 - 4[/tex] factors into [tex](x-2)(x+2)[/tex]?

Just be sure to let yourself relax a bit. 8 hours of sleep and 1 hour of focussed, aware studying is better than 9 hours of dead-tired studying.

the math people don't come down here to GD as much. you'll get more help in those forums. but if you're tired, you should probably just sleep anyway. you've got a few days to go over this stuff. if i were you, i'd just create a study plan tonight. look at what topics are covered, and which one's you aren't familiar with. then you can tackle it better on more sleep and you'll be more efficient that way.

Gale said:
the math people don't come down here to GD as much. you'll get more help in those forums. but if you're tired, you should probably just sleep anyway. you've got a few days to go over this stuff. if i were you, i'd just create a study plan tonight. look at what topics are covered, and which one's you aren't familiar with. then you can tackle it better on more sleep and you'll be more efficient that way.

I might just post it tommarrow. or better yet, someone can post it for me! LOL I doubt that'll happen
i'm just kinda lazy today

been through alot. i also collect gold coins, its known as numismatics
been to a coin forum called CU or Collectors Universe for over a year, just 2 days ago got banned, and welt hey have contests there, i won a contest, first place, and can't give the man my address to send the prize too

so I'm a bit miffed and upset right now

btw to the other person, yes I'm having trouble factoring polynomials, also having trouble with quadratics (no clue if that's in the test) and trig.
I dont' understand theta and trig, in fact, I trig is veyr hard for me
i don't understand the factoring in trig
i don't understand what cosine wave is
i don't know what a sine wave is
i have memorized SohCahToa however

is that how sohcahtoa is spelled? hmm... its more important to just understand the concepts behind trig, like sine waves and cosine waves, and then be able to relate them to the unit circle. don't even try factoring trig until you understand what trig is. if you want, you can I am me, and we can go over some stuff. but you need more direction.

as far as quadractics go, they're very important. do you know the quadractic formula? memorize it. can you graph a quadratic? you know how to read a quadratic equation and pick out the intercepts and scalar? you know the different ways of writing a quadratic equation and how to recognize one? you need to know that fundamental stuff. factoring is something you get good at only through practice. you're best bet for that is just to find as many examples as possible and work through them over and over. factoring is somewhat intuitive. so you just have to work at it.

there are 3 basic things i think of in factoring. there's factoring out monomials, factoring into two parenthesis, and grouping, then factoring. i'd probably practice them in that order.

Gale said:
is that how sohcahtoa is spelled? hmm... its more important to just understand the concepts behind trig, like sine waves and cosine waves, and then be able to relate them to the unit circle. don't even try factoring trig until you understand what trig is. if you want, you can I am me, and we can go over some stuff. but you need more direction.

as far as quadractics go, they're very important. do you know the quadractic formula? memorize it. can you graph a quadratic? you know how to read a quadratic equation and pick out the intercepts and scalar? you know the different ways of writing a quadratic equation and how to recognize one? you need to know that fundamental stuff. factoring is something you get good at only through practice. you're best bet for that is just to find as many examples as possible and work through them over and over. factoring is somewhat intuitive. so you just have to work at it.

there are 3 basic things i think of in factoring. there's factoring out monomials, factoring into two parenthesis, and grouping, then factoring. i'd probably practice them in that order.

nope i don't know quadratics, i don't know what a sine wave is etc, and I don't know any of those factoring besides the polynomials

give me your AIM name mine is LordWarclaidhm

QT, why not just stay in high school another year? It doesn't sound like you're ready to move on yet, even if you can graduate. You probably should have continued to take math classes even though they were no longer required for you. It doesn't hurt to graduate with additional credits (heck, I left high school with 70 more credits than I needed).

Jane Eyre is a great story, and it was one of my favorites back in AP English. It's also a very long story (really, it could be two novels), and you're not going to learn it quickly unless you're really good at cramming. Spark Notes is a good place to start to give you some guidance, especially if you aren't good at picking up on literary devices (and let's face it, almost no one is), but you're going to have to read the book. Personally, I think it is an enjoyable story. Given the time of year, however, why are you worrying? You've got plenty of time for this. Is this the only book you are reading this semester?

I can't help you with the factoring, though. When it comes to algebra, I don't really use any methods. I just look at whatever problem is given and it seems to solve itself in my head. I used to know the tricks back when I tutored, but that was a long time ago.

loseyourname said:
QT, why not just stay in high school another year? It doesn't sound like you're ready to move on yet, even if you can graduate. You probably should have continued to take math classes even though they were no longer required for you. It doesn't hurt to graduate with additional credits (heck, I left high school with 70 more credits than I needed).

Jane Eyre is a great story, and it was one of my favorites back in AP English. It's also a very long story (really, it could be two novels), and you're not going to learn it quickly unless you're really good at cramming. Spark Notes is a good place to start to give you some guidance, especially if you aren't good at picking up on literary devices (and let's face it, almost no one is), but you're going to have to read the book. Personally, I think it is an enjoyable story. Given the time of year, however, why are you worrying? You've got plenty of time for this. Is this the only book you are reading this semester?

I can't help you with the factoring, though. When it comes to algebra, I don't really use any methods. I just look at whatever problem is given and it seems to solve itself in my head. I used to know the tricks back when I tutored, but that was a long time ago.

Heh, long story to explain here.

First of all, I am VERY interested in math and concerned about my math. When you said "why don't you take extra math?" well I did JUST that last year. Well guess what though? After I did extra, I couldn't finish it because I had problems, and remember, this school was a charter school. The teachers don't have to be qualified in their jobs! For example, my teacher now isn't a teacher at all, he has a degree in computers! He told me what bandwidth is though! If someone needs help with their math problem, who do they turn to? NO ONE. They are screwed, unless a student offers to help them

Lately, I've been working my ass of trying to help the other people there, trying to remember what little I remember to teach them. It's pathetic I have to do this.

I did it for credits at my last school, and got a B+ in tutoring, back when I rememred math.

I did take extra math in my last charter school, but the teacher couldn't help me because she didnt have time! So I got no where. I couldn't finish it. But I managed to get all my classes done, so I didnt have to take math again. Now, I they WONT LET ME take math again, because they say I don't need it!

Also, I was in special ed english. I have EXTREME problems with english comprehenstion! it is my fear of all fears, my weak area! They are supposedt o modify it or something! Plus to boot, it says in there that they did DIDNT COPY THE ORGINIAL STORY, they said they left a lot of it out, to confuse you and MAKE YOU use context clues and literal devices and ask what, who, why, when, how on each thing! Plus, it uses lots of hard words, its in england, and i have to do 15+ of these same lessons, each one is 46 pages long!

It takes me 3 days to do each lesson, and there's 30 of them. I have to read other novels as well! It's hell I tell you!

I need help here..

PS: the other ones I've read are Lilliput and this guy in the 1600's who mets people 6 inches tall! Crazy! It was in england too! At least it was somewhat interesting. He put on their fire with his urine! Dont know if youve read it?

by the way, this program is called ASL. most of them only take a month or so to finish, this one is going to take me years! by far the worst!

Last edited:
QuantumTheory,
PF has a https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148 forum now. You can post question from your English class there. (Was the other book Gulliver’s Travels?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Dooga Blackrazor said:

You seemed to like that a lot, http://www.cliffsnotes.com is also really good, it has pretty much everything else sparknotes doesn't have.

Cliffnotes and sparknotes (one or the other) are sold at your local bookstore.

Also the big ones should have a spinning rack thingy with laminated tripage packets, specializing in each high school/secondary school. They got one for all of them.

lol, wait till you get to synthetic polynomial division! Apparently you haven't, because it comes after FOILing in Algebra.

My AIM is hifrommacsapple.

Jeesuz, I'm giving this stuff out a lot lately.

Last edited:
Many people here have read Gulliver's Travels and Jane Eyre. What you need to do is relax. I get the feeling you feel completely overwhelmed by everything right now. Although I don't blame you, you do need to get in a better mindset to make good progress. One thing at a time. If anything, start a thread in this forum specifically for English, and another thread in the Math forums just for math. One problem at a time, we will help you.

Related to I with 12th grade ENGLISH in ENGLAND and MATH

1. What is the curriculum for 12th grade English in England?

The curriculum for 12th grade English in England typically includes the study of classic and contemporary literature, writing and composition, grammar and language analysis, and oral communication skills.

2. How is the English language taught in 12th grade in England?

In 12th grade English in England, language is taught through a combination of reading, writing, and speaking activities. Students are also expected to analyze and critically evaluate texts and use language for different purposes.

3. What math topics are covered in 12th grade in England?

In 12th grade math in England, students typically cover advanced topics such as calculus, statistics, geometry, and algebra. They may also have the option to take courses in applied mathematics, such as economics or engineering.

4. Are there any standardized tests for 12th grade English and math in England?

In England, students in 12th grade may take the General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) or the Advanced Level exams in English and math. These exams are used to assess students' knowledge and skills in these subjects and are important for university admissions.

5. How do 12th grade English and math courses in England prepare students for college?

12th grade English and math courses in England aim to develop students' critical thinking, communication, and problem-solving skills, which are essential for success in college. These courses also cover advanced topics that provide a strong foundation for further studies in these subjects.