I want to pour a Sol sized bucked of water on the sun

In summary, the conversation was discussing the plausibility of a scenario where our solar system encounters a super massive cloud of water vapor or ice, and the potential effects on the sun and other planets. The main question being raised was whether the cloud could breach the sun's bow wave and heliopause, with some participants mentioning the possibility of Earth experiencing a bombardment similar to the late heavy bombardment period. The question of whether Earth's survival is a factor in this scenario was also brought up. The conversation also briefly touched on the potential energy release per kilogram of accreted material by the sun. Overall, the participants were exploring the scientific feasibility of this scenario and its potential consequences.
evictor480
So I don't feel as freaked out as I did before reading the Tips sticky about making sure every bit of science is plausible. I would like to try and keep it believable for the immersion though.

http://gizmodo.com/could-the-sun-be-extinguished-by-a-bucket-of-water-just-1669914928

It all started with this article. My brain ran away with the idea of our solar system flying through a super massive cloud of water vapor or ice on it's journey round the galaxy. I suppose it's a given that the cloud is vast and not dense enough for it to form its own star. But there is enough to add significant mass to the sun eventually.

My main hurdle is I am not sure if an interstellar cloud of anything would breach the suns bow wave and heliopause.
If there were enough mass would parts of a super massive cloud be able to breach the system?

I plan on having some fun with this like exploring mass added to some planets in the system, including earth.

Thanks to anyone who takes time to post on this.

Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the energy released per kilogram accreted by the sun.

I can't help with an answer, but let me clarify the question for other posters:

It's asking whether it's possible for interstellar medium to accrete onto an active star against the pressure of its stellar wind.
The title is just a metaphor.

Likes evictor480
evictor480 said:
My main hurdle is I am not sure if an interstellar cloud of anything would breach the suns bow wave and heliopause.
If there were enough mass would parts of a super massive cloud be able to breach the system?
With sufficient density: sure. Especially for neutral particles.

Is Earth's survival a factor in your scenario? If the ice cloud is dense enough, moving towards the Sol system with sufficient relative velocity, then Earth is likely to experience something similar to the late heavy bombardment period as trillions of comets moved through our system.

I guess a sufficiently dense cloud of vapor would push through the bow wave like tissue paper.

If a star were to splash into a large sol sized water droplet, it would be like adding gasoline to a fire. Chemical bonds are insignificant in comparison to nuclear fusion ie H2O bonds would be destroyed and the H2 would instantly become new fuel for the star (as would the Oxygen, but the Oxygen wouldn't have nearly the energy contribution, but would likely shift the color of the star as well). We would likely see the star increase in size and fuel consumption and end its life on a much shorter scale due to the larger the star, the even larger its energy consumption.

@CalcNerd that's not the question being asked here, though.

Related to I want to pour a Sol sized bucked of water on the sun

1. Is it possible to pour a Sol-sized bucket of water on the sun?

Technically, it is not possible to pour a bucket of water on the sun. The sun is a massive, hot ball of gas that would completely evaporate any liquid that comes in contact with it.

2. What would happen if we were able to pour water on the sun?

If we were somehow able to pour water on the sun, it would instantly evaporate and turn into steam due to the extreme temperatures on the sun's surface. This would have no significant impact on the sun's overall mass or energy output.

3. How much water would be needed to make a noticeable difference on the sun?

The sun is approximately 333,000 times the mass of Earth, so even a Sol-sized bucket of water would be an insignificant amount compared to the sun's mass. It would not make any noticeable difference on the sun's size or composition.

4. Would pouring water on the sun have any effect on Earth or other planets?

No, pouring water on the sun would not have any effect on Earth or other planets in our solar system. The sun's immense gravity and heat would keep the water confined to its surface and would not cause any changes in its orbit or trajectory.

5. Can we use water to cool down the sun?

No, water cannot be used to cool down the sun. The sun's high temperatures are a result of its nuclear reactions and cannot be affected by external factors. In fact, any attempt to cool down the sun could potentially disrupt its delicate balance and cause it to become unstable.