I want to become a Science Teacher, but

In summary, the conversation is about a person who has a BA in English but wants to become a high school Science teacher, specifically in Astronomy and Physics. They are seeking advice on what education they need to pursue in order to become licensed in Pennsylvania. The conversation also mentions the requirements for teaching high school physics, as well as optional courses in pedagogy and education psychology. Resources for information on state certifications are also provided.
Poma
I hope this is in the right place.

For a long time I did not know what I wanted to do as a career. I went to college and got a BA in English because I really enjoyed reading and writing. I am very proud and happy with my education, but I have an issue. I wish to become a Science teacher in a high school setting. I have had a life-long enthusiasm and enjoyment of Astronomy and that would be the subject I would like to teach (Physics as well. I'm aware that high schools don't hire just Astronomy teachers.) Does anyone have any advice about how to approach my education? I don't know if I need to get a BA/MA in Education as well as at least a BS in Astronomy/Physics, or if I can just take the bachelor's for Astronomy and become licensed some way else? I would love to go back to school but that is a lot of education to go through again and money as well. Any suggestions?
I'm mainly focusing on teaching in Pennsylvania at the moment and for the sake of the question since I know each state has different requirements.
Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
At the minimum i would think you would have to take the core req's to teach high school physics. At my school that includes calc1,2, calc based physics 1-2, Modern physics and some general science (chem, bio, genetics) classes. http://www.swosu.edu/resources/catalog/undergrad/cpgs/natural-science-education.aspx
Reqs may differ from school to school

Last edited by a moderator:
At my university there is an optional course (in pedagogy & education psychology) available that lasts throughout our 4-year undergrad program, that will eventually enable us to teach math, science and related disciplines to middle school & junior high students. (Completion of graduate studies unlocks the option to teach to HS seniors & maybe undergrads). There are only 4 hours per week of lectures & tutorials, and next year we'll get the opportunity to get teaching experience with actual students. Check out your school's course list for similar programs.

Information on what you have to do is here: https://www.teach.org/state-certifications?province=PA

Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your passion and interest in becoming a Science teacher. It's great to see that you have a specific subject in mind and have given thought to the education and licensing requirements for teaching in your state.

In terms of your education, I would recommend pursuing a Bachelor's degree in Education, with a focus on Science education. This will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to effectively teach Science in a high school setting. You can also choose to minor in Astronomy or Physics to further enhance your understanding of these subjects.

Additionally, it would be beneficial for you to gain some teaching experience through internships or volunteer work in schools. This will not only give you hands-on experience, but also help you determine if teaching is the right career path for you.

In terms of licensing, every state has different requirements, so it would be best to research the specific requirements for teaching Science in Pennsylvania. It's possible that you may need to take additional courses or exams to obtain a teaching license in the state.

I understand your concern about the time and money involved in pursuing another degree, but it's important to invest in your education and future career. You can also explore options for financial aid or scholarships to help with the costs.

In summary, my advice would be to pursue a Bachelor's degree in Education, with a focus on Science education, and gain some teaching experience before applying for a teaching license in Pennsylvania. I wish you all the best in your journey to becoming a Science teacher.

Related to I want to become a Science Teacher, but

1. How much education do I need to become a science teacher?

To become a science teacher, you will need at least a bachelor's degree in a science field, such as biology, chemistry, or physics. Some states may also require a teaching certification or a master's degree in education.

2. What subjects can I teach as a science teacher?

As a science teacher, you can teach a variety of subjects within the science field, such as biology, chemistry, physics, earth science, and environmental science. Some schools may also offer specialized science courses, such as marine biology or astronomy.

3. Is there a demand for science teachers?

Yes, there is a high demand for qualified science teachers, particularly in fields like chemistry and physics. With advancements in technology and a growing emphasis on STEM education, the demand for science teachers is expected to continue to increase in the future.

4. Do I need to have teaching experience to become a science teacher?

While prior teaching experience can be beneficial, it is not always required to become a science teacher. Many schools offer teacher training programs and mentorship opportunities to help new teachers gain the necessary skills and experience.

5. Can I teach at any grade level as a science teacher?

As a science teacher, you can teach at various grade levels, depending on your qualifications and the needs of the school. Some teachers may prefer to teach at the middle or high school level, while others may choose to work with younger students in elementary schools.