I the beginner have some general question

In summary, the conversation suggests that the individual is seeking advice on how to graph a 5 dimensional figure without fully understanding what it would look like. However, it is noted that any extra axis must be perpendicular to all others, making it difficult to represent. It is then suggested to ask for help in a general mathematics forum, as this is a math problem with relevance to physics. It is also noted that equations such as E=MC^2 are important in physics but still fall under the domain of mathematics.
pureinterest
Keep in mind while reading all peaple who wish to learn must start somewhere i feel like a critique from peaple who know what there talking about might help feel free to tell me how wrong i am becouse i asume i am very wrong indeed

i am just starting out in my very very very minuet view and ideas on quantum physics i was wondering as far as graphing goes i understand how to graph a one dimensional figure as well as a two dimensional and a three you simply add an axis ( I.E third dimensional Z axis) so theoreticly could you graph a 5 diimentional figure even without the understanding of what a 5th dimensional figure would look like.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi pureinterest! welcome to pf! :smile:
pureinterest said:
… as far as graphing goes i understand how to graph a one dimensional figure as well as a two dimensional and a three you simply add an axis ( I.E third dimensional Z axis) so theoreticly could you graph a 5 diimentional figure even without the understanding of what a 5th dimensional figure would look like.

not really

any extra axis has to be perpendicular to all the others, and there's no way of representing that

but if the graph is of a body or field with a symmetry, then we can "suppress" the dimension which has the symmetry without losing much information …

for example, we often assume that a black hole is spherically symmetric, which enables us to represent its 4D space-time geometry with a 2D graph

that makes much more sense thank you

frogjg2003 said:
Try asking in the general mathematics forum instead. You change nothing by removing any reference to quantum mechanics, and it becomes a math problem.

your looking at this too closed minded just because its only a pure math problem doesn't mean that it has no value to physics for instance E=MC^2 is only a math equation but what it stands for is where the meaning is

pureinterest said:
your looking at this too closed minded just because its only a pure math problem doesn't mean that it has no value to physics for instance E=MC^2 is only a math equation but what it stands for is where the meaning is
And just because it applies to physics doesn't mean it isn't a math problem. You're asking how to plot more than 2 dimensions on a plot. That is highly relevant to physics, but unless there is a specific physical phenomenon you are trying to represent, it is too general and falls in the domain of mathematics.
tiny-tims provides a good example, you have 4 dimensions: time and 3 space, but the three space are the same, so you can represent it as only time and one space dimension.

Related to I the beginner have some general question

What is the purpose of science?

The purpose of science is to gain knowledge and understanding of the natural world through observation, experimentation, and the use of the scientific method. It aims to explain how things work and to make predictions about future events.

What is the scientific method?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions about the natural world. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, designing and conducting experiments, collecting and analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence.

Why is peer review important in science?

Peer review is important in science because it allows for the evaluation and validation of research by other experts in the field. This helps to ensure the accuracy and reliability of scientific findings and prevents the dissemination of false or misleading information.

What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon, while a theory is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation that has been extensively tested and validated through various experiments and observations.

How does science impact our daily lives?

Science has a significant impact on our daily lives in many ways. It has led to technological advancements, improved healthcare, and a better understanding of the world around us. It also helps us make informed decisions about important issues such as climate change, public health, and the environment.