Hi... does anyone else like Einstein's way of thinking?

• Thread starter unparadoxical
  • Start date
In summary, Einstein's way of thinking refers to the thought processes and theories of the renowned physicist Albert Einstein. His unconventional approach to problem-solving and revolutionary theories of relativity and quantum mechanics had a profound impact on the field of science, inspiring future scientists to think outside the box and challenge traditional ideas. Key principles of his way of thinking include questioning beliefs, using imagination and curiosity, and striving for simplicity and elegance in theories. In daily life, we can apply his principles to approach challenges creatively and critically and gain a deeper understanding of the world. However, there are some criticisms of his way of thinking, including the complexity of his theories and questions about their validity and applicability to all fields of science.
unparadoxical
I'm just a layman with not very much in the way of formal education (relative to many of the members of this forum, at least). I come from an intensely inquisitive perspective, and my main pathway into theoretical science has been via philosophy, and particularly the ideas of Kant as developed in the Critique of Pure Reason. After nearly 2 decades of trying to figure out quantum mechanics, I have recently gone back over to the relativistic side of fundamental physics, and I am now able to appreciate why Einstein's theory is so crucial to the development of a deep understanding of the nature of physical reality.

It seems that the so-called twin paradox is one of the main attractions that draws people towards the modern physics paradigm. The way I would resolve the perplexity is just that there cannot be two "really living people" in the different reference frames since the "stationary" frame is meant to represent a space that is of lower dimensionality than the "moving" frame. This just means that the "stationary" frame is actually a flat hypersurface onto which the space-filling field consisting of the lone "really living person" is projected, for the purpose of the creation of an image that can be "observed".

I am also very interested in the question of why/how the "bridges" in the Einstein-Rosen paper went from initially representing a simple field-theoretic formulation of corpuscular matter into the science fiction plot device now known as "wormholes". (I'm not sure, but it appears that the current appetites for hyperbolic metaphysical speculation might have something to do with it: the kind of speculation that Kant warned us about, in terms of the dangers of too much in the way of the dogmatic Leibniz-Wolffian approach to metaphysics.)

I look forward to thoughtful discussions about the many-headed monster that we call relativity with all of you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum.

I caution you strongly against posting such nonsense as this quote (below) in the actual science forums, and I suggest you read the forum rules --- especially the one about posting personal theories, and the one that says we don't discuss philosophy.
unparadoxical said:
The way I would resolve the perplexity is just that there cannot be two "really living people" in the different reference frames since the "stationary" frame is meant to represent a space that is of lower dimensionality than the "moving" frame.

Likes berkeman
unparadoxical said:
I look forward to thoughtful discussions about the many-headed monster that we call relativity with all of you!
Special Relativity is absurdly simple. Especially when presented as Minkowski geometry.

Like all modern physics, mathematics is the key. Although, in fact, Roger Bacon recognised this nearly 800 years ago:

"Whoever then has the effrontery to study physics while neglecting mathematics must know from the start that he will never make his entry through the portals of wisdom."

Roger Bacon (1214-84)

Likes unparadoxical
"Special Relativity is absurdly simple. Especially when presented as Minkowski geometry."

Is the other side of that statement one that goes something like:

"General Relativity is absurdly complex. Especially when presented with Riemann curvature tensors."

?

Likes PeroK
unparadoxical said:
"General Relativity is absurdly complex. Especially when presented with Riemann curvature tensors."
Complex, yes, but why "absurdly"? The universe is what it is and sometimes it IS complex and in any case, it cares little whether or not your think it is absurd.

unparadoxical said:

It's absurdly difficult to solve the Einstein Field Equations, except for a few simple cases. But, then, as Laplace didn't actually say (even in French):

"Nature laughs at the difficulties of integration."

I sometimes wonder what sense there is in speaking of "solving" the Einstein field equations without any previous notion (even if just implied) of the kind of "constructing" that geometers are so fond of. It seems, for example, that what Schwarzschild accomplished was more akin to a Euclidean construction (e.g. of a circle from out of two points) rather than the type of simple analysis done when "solving for x".

unparadoxical said:
"Special Relativity is absurdly simple. Especially when presented as Minkowski geometry."

?
In spite of these apparent absurdities (not really)
is the fact that both these explanations of the world
in their ranges of application far exceed any alternative.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_special_relativity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parameterized_post-Newtonian_formalism

Likes PeroK
robphy said:
in their ranges of application
Another thing that interests me is the degree to which certain theorists insist that there is a limited range of application for GR that does not include, for example, the range of application of QM. The fact that the "machinery" of GR allows for arbitrary coordinate systems, within which arbitrary functions may be defined, and that each cover a background spacetime of arbitrary curvature, seems like a good enough reason to speculate, along with Susskind, that "GR=QM" [1].

The fundamental problem with following Einstein's intellectual pathway from standard GR into the domain of a hypothetical "unified field" seems to lie somewhere along the lines of my previous comment that solutions to his field equations are taught to be understood in terms of algebraically "solving for x" rather than geometrically "constructing an x". Such constructions are — nowadays at least — typically described as "toy models" that do not apply to our own universe.

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1708.03040.pdf

Last edited:
Speculative but fascinating. Thanks for the link.

Likes unparadoxical
unparadoxical said:
Another thing that interests me is the degree to which certain theorists insist that there is a limited range of application for GR that does not include, for example, the range of application of QM. The fact that the "machinery" of GR allows for arbitrary coordinate systems, within which arbitrary functions may be defined, and that each cover a background spacetime of arbitrary curvature, seems like a good enough reason to speculate, along with Susskind, that "GR=QM" [1].

The fundamental problem with following Einstein's intellectual pathway from standard GR into the domain of a hypothetical "unified field" seems to lie somewhere along the lines of my previous comment that solutions to his field equations are taught to be understood in terms of algebraically "solving for x" rather than geometrically "constructing an x". Such constructions are — nowadays at least — typically described as "toy models" that do not apply to our own universe.

[1] https://arxiv.org/pdf/1708.03040.pdf

It's not just theorists involving General Relativity and Quantum Physics....

• Consider Newtonian mechanics...
    when should we use
    the terrestrial gravity U=mgh
    vs
    universal gravity U=-GMm/r?

I guess the answer here depends on how much detail you care about.
    Clearly, there is a limited range of application of terrestrial gravity.
  • Unfortunately, the situation is not as clear in the GR-QM interfaces.

Of course, there are other interfaces, e.g. as suggested by the Bronstein cube
1671295706550.png

a figure from John Stachel's

See more from my post at https://physics.stackexchange.com/a/724544/148184Certainly, Einstein's contributions were a breakthrough in the understanding of gravity,
which suggested to others a breakthrough in
(say, for example) geometric thinking in its applications to physics.
However, there's no rule that says we have to follow Einstein or that
Einstein's contribution is to only way to have gotten to where we are today.

In my opinion, see what seems to work and push them as far as one can
...and being willing to move on from them if they don't make substantial progress.

As I see it, the question of "what seems to work" in terms of "making substantial progress" towards unification in theoretical physics depends on some interlocking factors.

Apart from the purely technical factors of showing mathematical and experimental proof, there are also the more mundane economic factors that determine who, in the first place, receives the funding needed to conduct the requisite research.

In certain cases, other issues might crop up in the political arena: authoritarian regimes, for example, might not be too receptive to the idea that the scientists in their respective countries could be formulating "grand unified theories" that are seen to be in direct conflict with the official state ideology. At present, this last issue does not appear to be too much of a concern in the Western democracies.

Introduction thread closed for Moderation...

Likes topsquark
unparadoxical said:
I'm just a layman with not very much in the way of formal education (relative to many of the members of this forum, at least). I come from an intensely inquisitive perspective, and my main pathway into theoretical science has been via philosophy, and particularly the ideas of Kant as developed in the Critique of Pure Reason.
The thread will remain closed. The New Member Introductions forum is meant for brief introduction posts, not discussions, and frankly this thread does not qualify for being moved to any of the technical forums (some replies were okay in terms of references, others were not).

@unparadoxical -- If you want to start a discussion on any of these issues, please choose the best PF forum and post peer-reviewed journal article references to start those conversations. Thank you.

Likes Bystander, topsquark and phinds

1. What is Einstein's way of thinking?

Einstein's way of thinking refers to the thought processes and theories of the renowned physicist Albert Einstein. He was known for his innovative and unconventional approach to problem-solving and his revolutionary theories of relativity and quantum mechanics.

2. How did Einstein's way of thinking impact science?

Einstein's way of thinking had a profound impact on the field of science. His theories of relativity and quantum mechanics revolutionized our understanding of space, time, and the universe. His approach to problem-solving also inspired future scientists to think outside the box and challenge traditional ideas.

3. What are some key principles of Einstein's way of thinking?

Some key principles of Einstein's way of thinking include questioning traditional beliefs, using imagination and creativity to solve problems, and relying on intuition and curiosity rather than solely on logic and reason. He also emphasized the importance of simplicity and elegance in scientific theories.

4. How can we apply Einstein's way of thinking in our daily lives?

Einstein's way of thinking can be applied in various aspects of our daily lives. We can use his principles of curiosity and imagination to approach challenges and solve problems in a creative and innovative way. We can also question traditional beliefs and think critically to gain a deeper understanding of the world around us.

5. Are there any criticisms of Einstein's way of thinking?

While Einstein's way of thinking is highly regarded and has had a significant impact on science, there are some criticisms. Some argue that his theories are too complex and difficult to understand, while others question the validity of his theories. Additionally, some critics argue that his approach to problem-solving may not be applicable to all fields of science.