GAMSAT Strong Force Question: What Happens to Energy?

In summary, the conversation is about a test called GAMSAT which has a science section with questions on physics, chemistry, and biology. The test-taker had difficulty with a physics question that asked about the strong force and displayed a graph of energy vs distance. They initially thought the energy increased with distance, but the graph showed an exponential decrease. They asked for clarification from a friend who is good at physics, and were told that energy goes down, momentum goes down, but strong force goes up. However, without the actual graph and full question, it is difficult to provide an accurate answer. The conversation also emphasizes the importance of providing the full context and source when seeking answers to questions.
Squall94
I wasn't sure where to post this, but about a week ago, I sat a test called GAMSAT which has a science section comprising 20% physics, 40% chemistry and 40% biology. Physics isn't exactly my strong point, however, the developers cite needing only high school level understanding (I stopped physics in year 10). In one of the physics questions, it talked about the strong force, and displayed a graph of energy (y axis) vs distance (x axis).

I might be totally wrong, but I went on the assumption that strong force energy increased with distance, as I had an interest in strong force theory a while back when i still did physics in high school. However, the graph showed an exponential decrease with energy, and this conflicted with what i knew (or thought i knew xD) about the strong force. The question asked whether the energy increased, decreased or remained constant. I chose increased, but going by the graph alone, the answer would be decreased. Am I thinking of all this wrong? I asked a friend who is very good at physics, and he told me that energy goes down, momentum goes down, but strong force goes up. Can anyone shed light on what happens?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to answer this because you did not include the graph. All we have to go by is your description of it. What if you misread or misunderstood the graph? There's no way for us to find out because we can only go by with what you wrote and not see the actual graph. I know this is from a test, but you also need to be reasonable in asking for answers when it is like this.

See this thread, for example, on how it should be done:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/looking-for-opinions-on-poorly-marked-exam-question.804823/

It is why we always tell people to cite the source. We can't tell if you read it incorrectly, misinterpret it, or simply didn't understand it. Without the source, there is no way to tell!

Zz.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 567
Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you also have the entire question? I think it is clear in my post that we require the whole thing, in full, not just in bits and pieces.

Zz.

The question did have a passage of background information explaining what the strong force was, but the question itself (along with most other questions) are simply one liners With more than 100 questions in the test, and stress levels high, I don't remember the question word to word, but it asked whether the energy associated distance A. increased, B. decreased, and C. remained constant.

Last edited:
Well, for the graph you drew, that's an easy question - it decreases with distance over the range illustrated in the graph.

If you want to ask whether the graph you drew accurately reflects the behavior of the strong force at distances below one femtometer in a particular nucleus (one femtometer is less than the size of most nuclei, so this will affect the size more than the stability of the nucleus) that's a fair question for this forum.

Whether these answers have anything to do with the test question is a different matter. You are the only one here who has seen the test question, so you're the only person who can judge this.

Related to GAMSAT Strong Force Question: What Happens to Energy?

1. What is the strong force in physics?

The strong force is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with gravity, electromagnetism, and the weak force. It is responsible for holding together the nucleus of an atom, which is made up of protons and neutrons. It is the strongest of the four forces, but only acts over a very short distance.

2. How does the strong force relate to energy?

The strong force is responsible for holding together the particles in the nucleus of an atom, and this requires a large amount of energy. The energy associated with the strong force is known as binding energy, as it binds the particles together to form a stable nucleus.

3. What happens to energy during a nuclear reaction?

In a nuclear reaction, energy is released as the nucleus of an atom is split (fission) or joined (fusion). This energy comes from the conversion of mass into energy, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. The strong force is involved in these reactions, as it is responsible for holding the nucleus together.

4. Can the strong force be broken or destroyed?

The strong force is a fundamental force of nature and cannot be broken or destroyed. However, it can be overcome by other forces, such as the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for nuclear decay and fusion reactions. In extreme conditions, such as in a particle accelerator, the strong force can be overcome and particles can be broken apart.

5. How is the strong force related to the stability of an atom?

The strong force is crucial for the stability of an atom, as it holds the nucleus together. Without the strong force, the positively charged protons in the nucleus would repel each other, causing the atom to break apart. The strong force also helps to determine the number of neutrons needed to maintain stability in an atom, as the strong force is responsible for binding neutrons to the nucleus.