I noticed a few days ago that a message thanking me for being a Gold

• Praise
  • Thread starter Danger
  • Start date
In summary: (I can't remember the url right now)I don't have a credit card yet so it wouldn't me mine that I'm using. I'd have to borrow one from a friend. :blushing:Quick, what flavour?!Bump!
Danger
Gold Member
I noticed a few days ago that a message thanking me for being a Gold Member appears when I log on. That is very cool. Keep in mind, though, that I pay the fees because this site needs to exist. It's actually kind of selfish on my part; I pay to help maintain the community that I love and respect.

Physics news on Phys.org

Danger said:
I noticed a few days ago that a message thanking me for being a Gold Member appears when I log on. That is very cool. Keep in mind, though, that I pay the fees because this site needs to exist. It's actually kind of selfish on my part; I pay to help maintain the community that I love and respect.
We're just saying it's for a server, really we just need a new hot tub :wink:

In all seriousness though, thanks for your contribution it's very much valued and needed. Greg's server plans are apparently quite expensive so PF could do with all financial support it can get. Personally I find it amazing that a site such as PF can operate solely on advertising and voluntary contributions.

As for your thoughts on PF, I agree totally. Physics Forums is unparalleled, not only for it's structure and accurate scientific discussion, but also for it's community as you say.

Thanks again for your contribution!

Last edited:

You're a good person Danger, we love having you here.

I'd also like to thank all of our contributor's, HH's and SA's for making this forum what it is today.

Incidentally, is there a way to "turn off" the notice after you've read it?

Evo said:
You're a good person Danger

Naw... I'm a total prick. I just try to hide it when I'm around people that I like. :wink:

I would like to contribute, however I don't trust Paypal. This has deterred me from contributing. I hear horror stories about that company.

~christina~ said:
I would like to contribute, however I don't trust Paypal. This has deterred me from contributing. I hear horror stories about that company.
There is no problem with paying with PayPal. The stories you are referring to are about disputes that people had with sellers where they think the PayPal buyer protection guarantee should reimburse them.

I've never known of PayPal mis-applying funds. They're very good. You have nothing to worry about.

I know people that have made hundreds of transactions annually for a number of years.

Evo said:
There is no problem with paying with PayPal. The stories you are referring to are about disputes that people had with sellers where they think the PayPal buyer protection guarantee should reimburse them.

I've never known of PayPal mis-applying funds. They're very good. You have nothing to worry about.

I know people that have made hundreds of transactions annually for a number of years.

Untill PF supports other methods of payment, I can't contribute.
It's better to be safe than sorry.
(darn it was shown in that accident prone test that I'm extremely cautious...me and my cautiousness!)

~christina~ said:
(darn it was shown in that accident prone test that I'm extremely cautious...me and my cautiousness!)
Greg takes other forms of payment.

Evo said:
Greg takes other forms of payment.

Like ringpops?

~christina~ said:

But if you pay with a credit card, you actually have another layer of protection, which is your credit card company. It is then as good as any credit card purchase that you make, and may, in fact, be even safer, since the merchant itself has no access to your credit card info.

I've used pay-pal for a while, and haven't had any issues at all with it.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But if you pay with a credit card, you actually have another layer of protection, which is your credit card company. It is then as good as any credit card purchase that you make, and may, in fact, be even safer, since the merchant itself has no access to your credit card info.

I've used pay-pal for a while, and haven't had any issues at all with it.

Zz.

I don't have a credit card yet so it wouldn't me mine that I'm using. I'd have to borrow one from a friend. :blushing:

Math Is Hard said:
Like ringpops?

Quick, what flavour?!

Bump!
Gokul43201 said:
Incidentally, is there a way to "turn off" the notice after you've read it?
Greg, any answers to this?

Gokul43201 said:
Bump!

Greg, any answers to this?

Are you still seeing a notice? According to my setting you should not be.

~christina~ said:
You don't need a paypal account you can just use the credit card payment screen at paypal.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you still seeing a notice? According to my setting you should not be.
I saw one this morning, but not anymore.

And does this mean individual members can not control their notices?

Gokul43201 said:
I saw one this morning, but not anymore.

And does this mean individual members can not control their notices?

That is correct.

~christina~ said:
I don't have a credit card yet so it wouldn't me mine that I'm using. I'd have to borrow one from a friend. :blushing:
Oh boy, that sounds a little risky in itself!

I've used paypal a hundred times as a buyer and a seller and never had a problem with it.

Related to I noticed a few days ago that a message thanking me for being a Gold

1. What does it mean to be a Gold member?

Being a Gold member typically refers to a membership level or status within a specific organization, program, or service. The criteria for becoming a Gold member may vary, but it often signifies a higher level of participation, commitment, or benefits compared to other membership levels.

2. How did I become a Gold member?

The specific process for becoming a Gold member may differ depending on the organization or program. In most cases, members are awarded Gold status based on certain accomplishments, achievements, or contributions. It is possible that you may have met the criteria without realizing it or that someone nominated you for the status.

3. What are the benefits of being a Gold member?

The benefits of being a Gold member may also vary depending on the organization or program. Generally, Gold members can expect to receive exclusive perks, rewards, or privileges that are not available to other members. These may include access to special events, discounts, or resources.

4. Is there a fee for being a Gold member?

Again, this depends on the specific organization or program. Some may require a membership fee to become a Gold member, while others may award the status for free. It is best to check with the organization or program to confirm if there are any associated fees.

5. How do I maintain my Gold membership status?

To maintain your Gold membership status, you will likely need to continue meeting the criteria or requirements set by the organization or program. This may involve participating in certain activities, maintaining a certain level of involvement, or renewing your membership periodically. Be sure to stay updated on any requirements so you can continue enjoying the benefits of being a Gold member.