I Need Advice On How To Study More

In summary: I think most of us look back on schooling and see some things as a total waste of time so you aren't alone in that regard. Hopefully you can get into a university or college that can put your marks into perspective: ie the subjects that matter you got high marks and the useless subjects don't count as much towards your chance of getting in.
anthonych414
Hello I need some advice on how to study more I'm in the ninth grade and I don't study a lot, I don't actually study I just do my home work, I usually end up cramming before exams and getting average marks (90s in math and physics and the rest is in th 70s and 80s). I want to get used to studyin 6+ hours a day because I know cramming won't help me in Grades 10, 11, 12, and university.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've found the method that works the best for me is to make chapter summaries with all the pertinent information, then study from those. Writing up the summary essentially forces me to read through everything to get a good idea of what's essential, then I can study the most important parts of the information.

For example, when I'm working on calc, I'll read through the chapter, copying relevant examples, rules, theorems, etc., as I go, then use the notes (if needed) to work through the problem sets. Doing this, I don't need to cram, and I seem to retain the information better.

Same with organic and biochem. Copy things that seem important as I go, do the problem sets, study from the notes if I need a refresher.

Of course, I'm doing independent study, so I HAVE to do this to learn the information, I can't rely on class time to learn. Though when I was still in a normal HS I didn't really study because I retained enough from class to pass easily.

anthonych414 said:
Hello I need some advice on how to study more I'm in the ninth grade and I don't study a lot, I don't actually study I just do my home work, I usually end up cramming before exams and getting average marks (90s in math and physics and the rest is in th 70s and 80s). I want to get used to studyin 6+ hours a day because I know cramming won't help me in Grades 10, 11, 12, and university.

If you can find something you're passionate about. I know its cliche, but in the end if you find something you really enjoy it won't seem like you are studying.

Also don't sweat it if you don't find that special something straight away: it can take many years of experimenting and seeing what fits and what doesn't.

Good luck!

@chiro: I like studying math and physics and I do well in both, but I can't just study one thing since I'm still in high school, biology and chemistry are fine, and so is english, my main problems are geography, arabic, civics, and history (my averages in them are 65%, 60%,65%, and 70% respectiveley).

anthonych414 said:
@chiro: I like studying math and physics and I do well in both, but I can't just study one thing since I'm still in high school, biology and chemistry are fine, and so is english, my main problems are geography, arabic, civics, and history (my averages in them are 65%, 60%,65%, and 70% respectiveley).

I think most of us look back on schooling and see some things as a total waste of time so you aren't alone in that regard. Hopefully you can get into a university or college that can put your marks into perspective: ie the subjects that matter you got high marks and the useless subjects don't count as much towards your chance of getting in.

Related to I Need Advice On How To Study More

1. How can I stay motivated to study more?

Staying motivated to study can be challenging, but there are a few things you can do to help. One strategy is to set specific and achievable goals for yourself. This will give you something to work towards and a sense of accomplishment when you reach your goal. Another tip is to find a study method that works for you, whether it's flashcards, practice questions, or group study sessions. Finally, make sure to take breaks and reward yourself for your hard work. This will help keep you motivated in the long run.

2. How can I manage my time effectively to study more?

Time management is key when it comes to studying. One way to do this is to create a study schedule and stick to it. This will help you prioritize your time and ensure you are dedicating enough time to each subject. It's also important to eliminate distractions, such as turning off your phone or finding a quiet study space. Additionally, breaking up your study sessions into smaller chunks and taking short breaks in between can help improve your focus and productivity.

3. What are some effective study techniques?

There are many different study techniques, and what works for one person may not work for another. Some popular techniques include active reading, where you engage with the material by taking notes or summarizing what you've read. Another technique is using mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or visual aids, to help remember information. Practice tests and self-quizzing can also be effective study techniques, as they help with information recall and identify areas you need to focus on.

4. How can I improve my memory for studying?

Improving memory for studying can be done through various methods. One way is to use spaced repetition, which involves reviewing material at increasing intervals to help with long-term retention. Another way is to create associations with the information you are trying to remember, such as creating a story or visual representation. It's also important to get enough sleep and practice good self-care, as a well-rested and healthy brain can better retain information.

5. How can I make studying more enjoyable?

Studying doesn't have to be a dull and boring task. One way to make it more enjoyable is to find a study buddy or join a study group. This can make studying more interactive and fun. Another strategy is to mix up your study environment by studying outside or in a different location. You can also try incorporating activities you enjoy, such as listening to music or taking breaks to do something you love. Finding ways to make studying more enjoyable can help you stay motivated and engaged in your studies.