I need a 3D map of the universe out to 400 ly....suggestions?

In summary, the conversation is about a sci-fi author looking for a suitable map to plot a course between the Coma Wall, Earth, and the Great Attractor. Suggestions were given, such as the 3D universe map from the American Museum of Natural History and the detailed map of the Milky Way. However, it was noted that the Great Attractor is difficult to observe due to its location behind the dense center of the galaxy. The author apologizes for being sidetracked by home remodeling and clarifies that the distance mentioned in the original post is actually 400 million light years.
rrw4rusty
Hello,

I'm a sci-fi author and need to plot a course with distances and galaxy (cluster and super cluster) stop overs between the Coma Wall, Earth and the Great Attractor. I've looked at a few online 3D universe maps and 2D maps but have not found anything ideal. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Rusty Williamson
www.rustywilliamson.com
rusty@rustywilliamson.com

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this one:
http://www.amnh.org/our-research/hayden-planetarium/digital-universe/download/

Don't know, whether you've already checked it.

rrw4rusty said:
Hello,

I'm a sci-fi author and need to plot a course with distances and galaxy (cluster and super cluster) stop overs between the Coma Wall, Earth and the Great Attractor. I've looked at a few online 3D universe maps and 2D maps but have not found anything ideal. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Rusty Williamson
www.rustywilliamson.com
rusty@rustywilliamson.com
400 light years is exceedingly close by. That's just a tiny fraction of the nearby stars within our own galaxy. It's about 10,000 light years to the center of our galaxy, for a sense of scale. The Coma cluster is over 300 million light years away. The closest nebula (the Helix nebula) is about 700 light years away.

Still, fresh_42's answer should be a good one. If that doesn't get you what you need, let us know.

http://www.sciencealert.com/scienti...way-ever-and-it-s-even-bigger-than-we-thought

That might be useful but some points. As already pointed out, 400ly is nothing in space terms.

Second, it's very difficult to get any data in the direction of the great attractor. Thats beyond our galaxy in the same direction as the centre of the galaxy, which is dense and hard to look through. That's the reason when you look at maps of the universe, it looks like a dumbbell. We simply can't observe very well within the plane of the galaxy.

Thanks for the replies! Work on book sidelined by home remodeling... [:-(] I'll check all this out in hopefully a few days...sorry.

Forget map showing Great Attractor...I forgot we can't see in that direction (unless I'm behind the times).

Thanks,
Rusty

PS: Whoops...sorry, I meant 400 million lg on OP.

Related to I need a 3D map of the universe out to 400 ly....suggestions?

1. How can I obtain a 3D map of the universe out to 400 light years?

There are various ways to obtain a 3D map of the universe out to 400 light years. One way is to use data from telescopes, such as the Hubble Space Telescope, to create a three-dimensional representation of the universe. Another way is to use computer simulations based on observations and theoretical models.

2. Can I view the 3D map of the universe in real-time?

While it is possible to view a 3D map of the universe in real-time, it would require advanced technology and a vast amount of data processing. Most 3D maps of the universe are based on data that has been collected over a period of time and then processed to create a static representation.

3. Are there any open-source resources available for creating a 3D map of the universe?

Yes, there are open-source resources available for creating a 3D map of the universe. Some examples include the Sloan Digital Sky Survey, the Dark Energy Survey, and the Gaia mission. These resources provide data and tools for scientists to create their own 3D maps of the universe.

4. What is the significance of mapping the universe out to 400 light years?

Mapping the universe out to 400 light years allows us to better understand the structure and composition of our local universe. It also helps us study the movements and interactions of galaxies and other celestial bodies within this distance, providing insights into the evolution of the universe.

5. Are there any limitations to creating a 3D map of the universe out to 400 light years?

While technology and data processing capabilities have advanced, there are still limitations to creating a 3D map of the universe out to 400 light years. One limitation is the availability and accuracy of data, as well as the computational power needed to process and analyze the vast amount of information. Additionally, the further out we map, the more difficult it becomes to accurately measure and map objects due to the vast distances and potential distortions caused by cosmic expansion.