I have to find the speed that the end of the arm goes. Can anyone

• Thread starter poopforfood
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Speed
In summary, the spring has a potential energy of 51765 lbf at the start, and the angular velocity must be 3 ft/s when the potential energy is zero.
poopforfood
I have to find the speed that the end of the arm goes. Can anyone help i attached a diagram

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 379
Engineering news on Phys.org
poopforfood said:
I have to find the speed that the end of the arm goes. Can anyone help i attached a diagram

Hi poopforfood! :smile:

I don't understand :confused:

all the diagram shows is a rod pivoted about its centre, and a spring which has one end fixed, and the other end attached perpendicularly to one end of the bar …

what is the rest of the question?

I suppose that given a certain lower end position, x, you could calculate the force on the bar by the spring using Hooke's law. This force can then be used to calculate the moment, and given mass properties of the bar, instantaneous acceleration of the bar. Integrating could give you velocity as a function of time.

...I think.

sorry So I have a spring being extended at the top with a force of 51765 lbf being applied to the arm. The arm weighs approximately 2.1 lbs and is 3 feet long. The pivot point is 1 foot from the top and 2 feet at the bottom. Can anyone help me find the final velocity at the bottom point in the arm

Hi poopforfood! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)
poopforfood said:
sorry So I have a spring being extended at the top with a force of 51765 lbf being applied to the arm. The arm weighs approximately 2.1 lbs and is 3 feet long. The pivot point is 1 foot from the top and 2 feet at the bottom. Can anyone help me find the final velocity at the bottom point in the arm

ahh! ok, then this is a conservation of energy question …

find the potential energy of the spring at the start (when the kinetic energy is zero), and then find what the angular velocity must be when the PE is zero and it's all KE (from which you can get the velocity at the bottom). :wink:

Related to I have to find the speed that the end of the arm goes. Can anyone

1. How do you measure the speed of the end of an arm?

The speed of the end of an arm can be measured by dividing the distance traveled by the arm by the time it takes to travel that distance. This is known as the average speed. Alternatively, the instantaneous speed can be measured by using a speedometer or by calculating the derivative of position with respect to time.

2. What tools or equipment do you need to measure the speed of the end of an arm?

To measure the speed of the end of an arm, you will need a ruler or measuring tape to determine the distance traveled, a stopwatch or timer to record the time, and a calculator to perform the necessary calculations. Depending on the specific situation, other tools such as a speedometer or motion sensors may also be useful.

3. Are there any factors that can affect the speed of the end of an arm?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the speed of the end of an arm. These include the length and weight of the arm, the force or power driving the arm, and any external forces acting on the arm (such as friction or air resistance). Additionally, the speed may also vary depending on the position or angle of the arm.

4. Can the speed of the end of an arm be changed?

Yes, the speed of the end of an arm can be changed by adjusting the force or power driving the arm, changing the length or weight of the arm, or altering the angle or position of the arm. External factors such as air resistance or friction may also affect the speed and can be adjusted to change the overall speed of the arm.

5. How is the speed of the end of an arm relevant to scientific research or applications?

The speed of the end of an arm is relevant in many scientific fields, including physics, biology, and engineering. It can help researchers better understand the mechanics of movement and can be used to design and improve machines and devices. Additionally, measuring the speed of the end of an arm can aid in studying and analyzing human and animal movements, which can have practical applications in fields such as sports science and physical therapy.