Calculating the dimensions of a lever and a column

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to calculate the dimensions of a lever arm and support attached to a vertical column. The only known numbers are the load, arm length, and column height. The person also mentions an adjustable handle and the need to calculate its dimensions. The suggested approach is to first calculate the axial load on the lever arm and then use machine design equations to determine the appropriate dimensions, keeping in mind the materials involved and desired level of conservatism.
pashmak
Hi,
I have a system with a lever arm that's attached to a vertical support at its pivot point. The lever is pushed up by hand and is supported by a stay lid like in the image. I need to calculate the area and thickness of the arm and the column but the only numbers I have is the load attached to the end of the arm, the length of the arm and the height of the column. In all the examples I found on the web either the tensile strength or the stiffness of the beam is given. And I don't have any of these numbers yet. So, could you please help me figure out how to find the followings:
  • Dimensions of lever arm
  • Dimensions of the support
  • Locations of the the to ends of the stay lid on each arm.
There is also an adjustable handle that will be attached to the pivot of the arm from the opposite side. I have some of that dimensions based on anthropocentric data but the minimum requirements of its arm to be able to stand pushing a 15kg machine is still missing and I'm not sure how I can calculate that.

Attachments

• 22nov.png
    22nov.png
    106 KB · Views: 592
Hello,

I believe for this you will need to first need to calculate the axial load developed on the lever arm (Statics/Dynamics). Once you find that, crack open a machine design book and find the equations involved with sizing shafts. The theories involved will depend on how conservative you want your calculations to be and what materials are involved. Those are my initial thoughts, hope it helps.

Related to Calculating the dimensions of a lever and a column

What is a lever?

A lever is a simple machine that consists of a rigid bar or beam that can pivot around a fixed point called a fulcrum. It is used to amplify or redirect a force applied to one end of the lever to another.

What are the three classes of levers?

The three classes of levers are categorized based on the location of the fulcrum, the effort force, and the load. In a first-class lever, the fulcrum is located between the effort force and the load. In a second-class lever, the load is between the fulcrum and the effort force. In a third-class lever, the effort force is between the fulcrum and the load.

How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be calculated by dividing the distance from the fulcrum to the effort force by the distance from the fulcrum to the load. This ratio is also equal to the ratio of the effort force to the load.

What is a column?

A column is a vertical structural element that is used to support a load. It is commonly made of materials such as wood, steel, or concrete and is often used in buildings and bridges.

How do you calculate the cross-sectional area of a column?

The cross-sectional area of a column can be calculated by multiplying the width of the column by its height. If the column has a circular cross-section, the area can be calculated by squaring the radius and multiplying it by pi (3.14).