I have a couple questions on gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of gravity and the equation to calculate the gravitational force exerted by a massive object. The Newtonian theory, which involves the gravitational field due to a point mass, is suggested as a starting point before learning about Einstein's version. The equation to calculate the gravitational force is given as F_G = -G\frac{mM}{r^2}, where F_G is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m and M are the masses of the objects, and r is the distance between them. It is also mentioned that the mass of an object can be calculated by integrating its density over its volume, or by using the formula \rho \times V = \frac{4}{3}
Darkroman
My physics knowledge is barely 101 so bare with me. However I've always wondered about gravity, just never took much time to look it up. I was hoping you could help me out a bit on it, perhaps give me some internet links to learning resources.

Is there an equation to state (let's say an ideal or perfect celestial sphere about 10,000 miles in diameter, and density is on the order of 2) how much gravity it has (or is it better to say how much it curves spacetime)?

Can you make a connection between the mass an object has with the amount of gravity? How about density?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. The gravitational field due to a point mass (in units of acceleration) is -GM/r^2. Any massive object with a spherically symmetric mass density distribution (eg. a planet or a star) can be modeled as a point mass at the centre of the sphere so that you can use this equation (as long as r > radius of the body).

That's the Newtonian (classical) theory. I don't suggest learning Einstein's version before this.

So, if you want to calculate the gravitational force a massive object of mass [itex]M[/itex] exercises on some other mass [itex]m[/itex], it would be done like this:
[itex]F_G = -G\frac{mM}{r^2}[/itex]. Where [itex]F_G[/itex] is the gravitational force, [itex]G[/itex] the gravitational constant and [itex]r[/itex] the distance between the two objects. (either as size or vector)
If you only know the density of the object, you can calculate the mass like this:
[itex]{\int\int\int}_V \rho(x,y,z) dV[/itex] or, if the density [itex]\rho[/itex] is constant: [itex]\rho \times V = \frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho[/itex]
Hope this helps!

Related to I have a couple questions on gravity

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is the force that keeps the planets in orbit around the sun and holds us to the Earth's surface.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity is a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the presence of mass. Objects with larger mass have a greater gravitational pull, causing smaller objects to be attracted towards them.

3. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground due to the gravitational pull of the Earth. The Earth's mass is much larger than that of any object on its surface, and therefore, the Earth's gravity is strong enough to pull objects towards it.

4. Can gravity be manipulated?

Currently, there is no known way to manipulate the force of gravity. However, scientists are constantly researching and experimenting with different theories and technologies that could potentially lead to the manipulation of gravity in the future.

5. What is the difference between gravity on Earth and other planets?

The force of gravity on a planet depends on its mass and size. Therefore, the gravity on Earth is different from that on other planets. For example, the gravity on Mars is about 38% of that on Earth, while the gravity on Jupiter is about 2.5 times that on Earth.