I have 10 months till graduate school, whats the best way to prepare?

In summary, it sounds like you should focus on reviewing undergraduate material and studying current research papers from Arxiv.
alemsalem
i have 10 months till graduate school, what's the best way to prepare??

I graduated about one & a half years ago(physics), and I'm going to graduate school September next year(HEP/Cosmology), i have holes in my undergraduate knowledge in addition to what's lost in memory.

I don't know what would be better: a thorough review of undergraduate physics and mathematics or studying the five core subjects from graduate texts (I already began with that, but stopped to prepare for the GRE).

Thnx.

Salem Olimat

Physics news on Phys.org

I returned to graduate school after a much longer hiatus than you are talking about. I found that doing problems from the graduate level texts was the best way to prepare. Since this gets boring after a while, I would also spend time each day reading current papers from Arxiv (http://arxiv.org/). While many are difficult to follow, they get your brain working along the right lines, and help bring you up to speed on current research areas, vocabulary, etc. Are you already accepted to a program? Do you mean that you start in Sept, 2011? That's a bit more than 10 months...

alemsalem said:
i have 10 months till graduate school, what's the best way to prepare? ... and I'm going to graduate school September next year(HEP/Cosmology)

I'd say reviewing your math, or maybe studying the latest calenders, should be your first priority. Next September is 12 months away, not 10. :smile: Well, no worries, absentmindedness is a hallmark of the stereotypical physicist.

Kidding aside, it sounds like you have good strategies in place. The main thing is to keep your mind actively involved in any physics and math related study. And GRE preparation is a good idea if you think you can significantly improve your scores.

If you know what your "holes" are, I'd recommend doing your best to fill them. Review the standard undergrad texts, and do the problems.

If you're not quite sure what the holes are, try reading the standard graduate texts for your field (say Dodelson's "Modern Cosmology" and Peskin&Schroeder's QFT book), and identify the difficulties you have getting through those books.

phyzguy said:
... I would also spend time each day reading current papers from Arxiv (http://arxiv.org/). While many are difficult to follow, they get your brain working along the right lines, and help bring you up to speed on current research areas, vocabulary, etc. Are you already accepted to a program? Do you mean that you start in Sept, 2011? That's a bit more than 10 months...

yeah I am doing the arxiv thing as well, like you said I can't follow most of them but i guess it's useful,, i didn't get accepted yet that's why i said 10 months I'm applying to 6 schools so i assume i'll be accepted in at least one of them, some of them are top universities and i want to start my graduate studies with a strong background (that i can immediately use not just be familiar with stuff).

I'm absentminded about everything else but when it comes to physics I'm obsessed, we get to understand and investigate the universe and the world around us, what more could a piece of meat ask for :-p

thnx for the comments very helpful :)

You know, before I started grad school, they gave me a CD with all of the previous years' qualifier problems. I studied using those problems, and managed to (barely) pass the classical portion of my department's qual the summer before I started. Maybe you should see if you can get your department's qual resources.

Related to I have 10 months till graduate school, whats the best way to prepare?

1. How should I prioritize my time during these 10 months?

It is important to allocate your time wisely during this period. Make sure to dedicate enough time for your studies, research, and any other commitments you may have. Prioritizing your tasks and creating a schedule can help you stay organized and on track.

2. Is it necessary to have research experience before starting graduate school?

While research experience can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Many graduate programs offer opportunities for students to gain research experience during their studies. However, having prior research experience can give you an advantage and help you better understand the research process.

3. How can I improve my writing skills before starting graduate school?

Reading and writing regularly can greatly improve your writing skills. You can also seek feedback from professors or peers on your writing and practice writing in different styles. Additionally, taking a writing course or workshop can also be helpful.

4. Should I focus on a specific subject area during these 10 months?

It is important to have a general understanding of your chosen field of study, but it is not necessary to focus on a specific subject area. Use this time to explore different topics and gain a broad understanding of your field, which can help you choose a specific area to focus on during graduate school.

5. How can I prepare for the workload of graduate school?

Graduate school typically involves a heavier workload than undergraduate studies. To prepare, you can start by managing your time effectively, staying organized, and developing good study habits. It may also be helpful to talk to current graduate students or alumni to get a better understanding of the workload and how to manage it effectively.