I cant understand this explanation of limsup

• Thread starter transgalactic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
The "sequence" of sups is -1, 1/2, 1/2, 1/4, 1/4, 1/6, 1/6, 1/8, 1/8, etc. It's not really a sequence, but only a list of the sups.
transgalactic
regarding this defintion

http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/5666/47016823jz1.gif

i was told that
Remember that if [itex]x_n[/itex] is bounded then [itex]\limsup x_n = \lim \left( \sup \{ x_k | k\geq n\} \right)[/itex].
The sequence, [itex]\sup \{ x_k | k\geq n\}[/itex] is non-increasing, therefore its limits is its infimum.
Thus, [itex]\limsup x_n = \inf \{ \sup\{ x_k | k\geq n\} | n\geq 0 \} [/itex][/quote]

i can't understand the first part

why he is saying that
[itex]\sup \{ x_k | k\geq n\}[/itex]
is not increasing.
you are taking a bounded sequence and you get one number
which is SUP (its least upper bound)
thats it.
no more members

??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
But [itex]\left{x_k|k\ge n}[/itex] is not a single sequence- it is a different sequence for every different n.

For example, if [itex]{x_n= (-1)^n/n}= {-1, 1/2, -1/3, 1/4, -1/5, ...} then
[itex]sup{x_k|k\ge 1}[/itex] is the largest of {-1, 1/2, -1/3, 1/4, -1/5, ...} which is 1/2. [itex]sup{x_k|k\ge 2}[/itex] is the largest of {1/2, -1/3, 1/4, -1/5, ...}, again 1/2. [itex]sup{x_k|k\ge 3}[/itex] is the largest of {-1/3, 1/4, -1/5, ...}, which is 1/4. Similarly, [itex]sup{x_k|k\ge 4}[/itex] is also 1/4 but [itex]sup{x_k|k\ge 5}[/itex] is 1/6, etc.

Related to I cant understand this explanation of limsup

What is limsup?

Limsup, short for "limit superior", is a mathematical concept that represents the largest limit point of a sequence or function. It is similar to the concept of a limit, but it allows for a broader range of possible limit values.

How is limsup calculated?

The limsup of a sequence can be calculated by finding the limiting behavior of the sequence as the number of terms increases. It can also be defined using the supremum (least upper bound) of the set of all limit points of the sequence.

What is the difference between limsup and liminf?

Limsup and liminf (limit inferior) are two related concepts, but they represent different things. Limsup represents the largest limit point of a sequence, while liminf represents the smallest limit point. In other words, limsup gives the "upper bound" of the sequence's limit points, while liminf gives the "lower bound".

Why is limsup important?

Limsup is an important concept in mathematical analysis and is used in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, real analysis, and topology. It allows for a more comprehensive understanding of the behavior of a sequence or function, especially when traditional limits may not exist.

How can I better understand limsup?

Understanding limsup can be challenging, but some helpful tips include practicing with examples, breaking it down into smaller parts, and seeking out additional resources or explanations. It can also be helpful to review the definitions of related concepts, such as limit and supremum, to gain a better understanding of limsup.