I came here to vote for my friend.

• News
  • Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
In summary, Bahjat, a Sunni Arab and civil engineering graduate, came to vote for his friend Mohammed, a Shiite Arab who was killed in a mortar attack. Despite being wounded, Bahjat woke up early to cast his vote as a way to fight back against the terrorists who took his friend's life. Despite the danger, residents in Baghdad were determined to continue voting, demonstrating the power of voting in the midst of conflict.
russ_watters
Mentor
"I came here to vote for my friend."

"I came here to vote for my friend," said Bahjat, 23, a Sunni Arab and civil engineering graduate of Baghdad University. His closest friend, Mohammed Abdul Karrem, a Shiite Arab, was killed in an insurgent mortar attack in August that left Bahjat wounded. Four pieces of shrapnel are still in his body.

He woke up at 5 a.m., waiting for his polling station to open. "I am voting alone and fighting back tears," he said. "This is the only way available for me to fight the terrorists."
Yet even after a rocket killed three people at a polling place in Baghdad, residents asked if the voting could continue, according to Army Capt. Todd Napier, a commander with the 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry, at the site.
These people know the power of voting, even if Americans (and the rest of the world) have forgotten.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2005-01-30-iraq-voters_x.htm

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. That's the right way.

It is heartwarming to see the determination and bravery of individuals like Bahjat, who are willing to risk their safety to vote for their friends and loved ones. Despite the danger, he sees voting as a way to fight against the terrorists and stand up for what he believes in. It is a reminder to all of us, especially those of us who live in countries with stable democracies, of the power and importance of voting. We should not take this right for granted and should always exercise it, as it is a privilege that many around the world do not have. Bahjat's story is a testament to the resilience and determination of the Iraqi people and their desire for a better future. Let us all remember his courage and honor it by exercising our own right to vote.

Related to I came here to vote for my friend.

What is the purpose of voting for a friend?

The purpose of voting for a friend is to show support and help them achieve their goals or objectives. It is also a way to exercise your right to vote and make your voice heard in the decision-making process.

Why is it important to vote for a friend?

Voting for a friend is important because it can make a difference in the outcome of an election or decision. It also shows that you value your friend's opinions and trust them to make the right choices.

Do I have to be a scientist to vote for my friend?

No, you do not have to be a scientist to vote for your friend. Anyone who is eligible to vote can participate in the voting process.

Can I vote for my friend if I am not in the same location?

Yes, in most cases, you can vote for your friend even if you are not in the same location. This can be done through mail-in ballots or online voting systems, depending on the election rules and regulations.

What should I do if I am unable to vote for my friend?

If you are unable to vote for your friend, you can still support them by encouraging others to vote for them or helping them with their campaign. You can also show your support by participating in other ways, such as volunteering or donating to their cause.