I bet my friend I could design a circuit with no background

In summary: Finally, you'll need to send the signal from the PD to your transmitter. You will do this by connecting your PD to your transmitter using a short cable and then connecting your transmitter to your computer using an appropriate cable.
jley18
Hey everyone! This is my first post here so take it easy on me!

Before I get into the circuit I'll give a little backstory here. I'm a business student at a US college right now and I have a good friend who is a Biomedical engineering student. We were arguing about whether or not I would be able to do what she does in her classes. Being rather impulsive and overconfident, I bet her that I could design the final project from her toughest class in two weeks. That may have been my first mistake, but I consider myself a smart guy and I love a challenge like this one, especially since I've always had an interest in learning about circuits. If I pull it off, she's agreed to take me on an all expenses paid long weekend vacation to wherever I choose so I'm pretty motivated and since it's the summer I have plenty of time on my hands to do it. The rules are that I can use any help that would have been available to her when she was taking the class (so forums, any software, my engineer father etc...) and I must use the materials in the kit from the class and it has to satisfy the rubric with a passing grade

Now onto the technical stuff. Keep in mind I have NO background or experience in much science at all honestly so this stuff may as well be in Chinese to me at this point. I've uploaded the rubric for you guys to check out. I imagine it must seem pretty basic to you as professionals in this field so I'm hoping that some of you may enjoy this story and decide to guide me a little in this endeavor.

Here are my questions so far:
Where should I start? What concepts should I begin by learning that are necessary for this circuit?
What software should I download?
And, in general, if you were in my position what approach would you take in taking on this challenge?
Screen Shot 2016-07-18 at 2.44.05 PM.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
Good luck with your challenge! What will you owe, when you lose your bet? Just asking?

CalcNerd said:
Good luck with your challenge! What will you owe, when you lose your bet? Just asking?

I have to do her laundry for a month. Pretty one sided bet I know but she's got a heck of a lot more money than I do.

Thanks for the well wishes!

I think you should start with the problem statement. Do you understand the significance of every word in every sentence? How the words relate to the diagram?

Perhaps you could paraphrase the entire problem statement in your own words and post it here. We can help by telling you if you got it right.

jley18 said:
...but I consider myself a smart guy...
Your first mistake. I know that I know a lot of stuff about a lot of different stuff. But I would never assume I could pull something like that off. From what I can see your bet should be that you can get someone else to do the work for you and come up with the required end result.
Keep in mind I have NO background or experience in much science at all honestly so this stuff may as well be in Chinese to me at this point.
With your understanding based on the above quote I would say that is your only option.

Not a very original problem. Try googling send sound with a laser.

I did this exact project for a class 20 years ago, except we used a fiber to send the audio rather than a laser pointer. It's actually pretty simple if you know what parts to use and how to design an op-amp amplifier.

Free hint: don't use a solar cell.

Do you have any specific questions for us? I'd start with trying to understand and build the receiver side. Clearly, since you are only given a photodiode, you will be using that to detect your laser light. You'll obviously have one op-amp at the receiver and one at the transmitter.

First I would print out the datasheets of your components even if you don't understand them yet.

To give you another vague hint I'll tell you that for your transmitter you need to amplify(?) and shift up your AC audio signal into an appropriate DC signal to power your laser. You can do that easily by adding your audio signal to an appropriate voltage using the first op amp and the right resistors. Check out schematics of an op amp "summing" circuit online.

Then you'll need to detect the laser light with your PD. You can do your own research on how to do this. (hint: reverse bias the photodiode and then measure the voltage generated across a resistor placed in series with the PD since the PD produces a reverse current that is roughly proportional to the light intensity) You'll use the second op amp to kinda do the opposite of the first op amp (shift down your DC signal into an AC signal that can drive a speaker). Hope that helps.

Mods, I hope I haven't given too many hints.

Looks like @jley18 has gone quiet. Probably busy doing laundry... :smile:

Likes CalcNerd, anorlunda, leright and 1 other person
Apply business skills- visit different sources until you find a step-by-step solution (Instructables). Otherwise, stick to business... unless you want to hurt your brain

Likes leright
The guy's gone quiet so he probably lost the bet. Sorry but most business majors are not equipped to jump into circuit design like that. If they were that interested they would not be in the business school, they'd be in the engineering school. I would say circuit design is one of the harder more time consuming things to learn, not something one can learn in a month without an unusually high aptitude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kind of like playing the state lottery. The state is betting millions of dollars against my one dollar that I won't win. The state has taken lots of my money over the years. Every bet is a sucker bet. But a dollar ain't as bad as a month's labor. I guess this is comparable to betting dollars to donuts. Not an even bet, but a bad one, non-the-less.
As a business major, perhaps he will find a flaw in the contract?

CalcNerd said:
As a business major, perhaps he will find a flaw in the contract?

No, that would be the lawyer. The business major's job is to show some powerpoints describing synergy and then lay some people off.

Related to I bet my friend I could design a circuit with no background

What is a circuit?

A circuit is a path that allows electricity to flow through it. It is made up of various components, such as wires, resistors, capacitors, and transistors, that work together to control the flow of electricity.

Do I need any prior knowledge or experience to design a circuit?

While having a background in electrical engineering or physics can be helpful, it is not necessary to design a simple circuit. With some basic understanding of electrical components and the ability to follow instructions, anyone can design a circuit.

What tools or materials do I need to design a circuit?

The tools and materials needed to design a circuit will depend on the complexity of the circuit. In general, you will need a breadboard, wires, resistors, capacitors, and a power source (such as a battery or power supply). You may also need a multimeter to measure voltage and other electrical properties.

How do I start designing a circuit?

The first step in designing a circuit is to have a clear idea of what you want the circuit to do. Then, you can draw a circuit diagram to plan out the components and connections. Once you have a plan, you can start building the circuit on a breadboard and testing it with a power source.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when designing a circuit include using incorrect components, improper wiring, and not considering the power requirements of the circuit. It is also important to double-check your connections and follow safety precautions to avoid any accidents.