How do you make a digital counter circuit which counts to 10 minutes?

In summary: You may use any discrete logic ICs you like. Some logic series have been available for many years.4000 series CMOS ICs are allowed, but you will need to use a different type of breadboard.In summary, you will need:1. an oscillator to generate a 5 minute cycle2. a multiplexer to select one of two flip-flops to act as a timer3. a D-F/F to generate a 3 bit shift register4. a buzzerYou will need to build:1. a 32.768 kHz watch crystal2. a multiplex
fahadnajed
I need to make a digital counter circuit which it counts to 15 minutes for my big project in my campus . When the circuit counts to 10 minutes, it will rings a buzzer. Same when it continues to 15 minutes, it will ring a buzzer again. (the circuit is for public speaking, so the speaker knows that he or she already went speak for 10 minutes and 15 minutes). We weren't allowed to use an Arduino, Microcontroller, PLCs, IC NE555, and a 4000 series CMOS IC but we were allowed to use breadboard, flip flop, decoder and 7 segments display. I'm kinda stuck here and I'm thinking it's impossible to make such a thing. Do you have any idea guys?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You'll need some oscillator. You can build them with just a few transistors, resistors and capacitors. If you can get a 5 minute cycle then you just need to count to 2 and 3, or use a 10 minute cycle and count to 1 and 1.5.

Likes fahadnajed
fahadnajed said:
We weren't allowed to use an Arduino, Microcontroller, PLCs, IC NE555, and a 4000 series CMOS IC but we were allowed to use breadboard, flip flop, decoder and 7 segments display. I'm kinda stuck here and I'm thinking it's impossible to make such a thing

Is it allowed to use other series of logic ICs, such as HC, LVC, etc., or is it only allowed to make the entire circuit consist of discrete transistors?

Some logic series have entered the market for many years, and the oldest logic series has entered the fifth decade. The 4000 series appeared decades ago, and today there are many other options.
http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/sdyu001ab/sdyu001ab.pdf
If you really need to use a lot of discrete transistors to complete the task, then I think this is indeed frightening and difficult.

Last edited:
Likes fahadnajed
Reset everything to start. The output will be a three bit shift register made of D flip-flops. Every 5 minutes it is shifted once. The buzzer sounds for 1 second when the second or third stage goes high. (That needs an XOR gate with a D-F/F clocked at 1Hz).

Start with a 32.768 kHz watch crystal, divide it by two, 15 times to get 1 second period. That is the input clock for the timing logic.

5 minutes is 300 seconds = 2×2 × 3 × 5×5. (or; 300 = 256 + 32 + 8 + 4 ).
Use D-F/Fs to build ÷2, ÷3 and ÷5 arrangements of F/F.

The F/F count will be … 15 for prescaler, 10 for three hundred seconds, 3 for the output shift reg, 1 for the buzzer. Total = 29, which will come in 15 dual F/F chips + a few gates.

There are also simple digital solutions that are built from analogue step integrators and comparators. Take a look at sections 7.5 to 7.8 of the NSD application note 72, specific to the LM3900 quad current input amplifier.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa653/snoa653.pdf

Likes fahadnajed
If your main purpose is not to practice electronic circuit design, there may be other simple ways to achieve the goal, namely when the circuit counts up to 10 minutes, it will sound a buzzer... when it lasts for 15 minutes, it will sound Buzzer again.

You may edit and create an audio file to play a short melody when the time reaches 10 minutes and another short melody when the time reaches 15 minutes by a smart phone.
You may also simply record a short sound file using the microphone on your smart phone, and all you have to do is just generate the sounds at the specified times for the record.
However, the disadvantage of using only audio files is that no screen displays the remaining time.

There may be another more simple solution, just try to download a free Multiple Timer apps to your smartphone /tablet computer.

Of course you can add an external amplifier to produce the desired loudness of the sound

Last edited:
Likes fahadnajed
fahadnajed said:
I need to make a digital counter circuit which it counts to 15 minutes for my big project in my campus . When the circuit counts to 10 minutes, it will rings a buzzer. Same when it continues to 15 minutes, it will ring a buzzer again. (the circuit is for public speaking, so the speaker knows that he or she already went speak for 10 minutes and 15 minutes). We weren't allowed to use an Arduino, Microcontroller, PLCs, IC NE555, and a 4000 series CMOS IC but we were allowed to use breadboard, flip flop, decoder and 7 segments display. I'm kinda stuck here and I'm thinking it's impossible to make such a thing. Do you have any idea guys?
Can you use two flip-flops with a time period of five minutes each? Than another to make the buzz.

Likes fahadnajed
Do you need to display the time or only make the sound at 10 and 15 minutes?

alan123hk said:
Is it allowed to use other series of logic ICs, such as HC, LVC, etc., or is it only allowed to make the entire circuit consist of discrete transistors?

Some logic series have entered the market for many years, and the oldest logic series has entered the fifth decade. The 4000 series appeared decades ago, and today there are many other options.
http://www.ti.com/lit/sg/sdyu001ab/sdyu001ab.pdf
If you really need to use a lot of discrete transistors to complete the task, then I think this is indeed frightening and difficult.
Yeah sure, it's allowed to use logic gates and use discrete transistors. Well actually I was told to use any type of flip-flop, a counter and a decoder which is not built-in IC (it's seperate, each counter and each decoder). I told you, I don't have any point to make this, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to get ideas

Baluncore said:
Reset everything to start. The output will be a three bit shift register made of D flip-flops. Every 5 minutes it is shifted once. The buzzer sounds for 1 second when the second or third stage goes high. (That needs an XOR gate with a D-F/F clocked at 1Hz).

Start with a 32.768 kHz watch crystal, divide it by two, 15 times to get 1 second period. That is the input clock for the timing logic.

5 minutes is 300 seconds = 2×2 × 3 × 5×5. (or; 300 = 256 + 32 + 8 + 4 ).
Use D-F/Fs to build ÷2, ÷3 and ÷5 arrangements of F/F.

The F/F count will be … 15 for prescaler, 10 for three hundred seconds, 3 for the output shift reg, 1 for the buzzer. Total = 29, which will come in 15 dual F/F chips + a few gates.

There are also simple digital solutions that are built from analogue step integrators and comparators. Take a look at sections 7.5 to 7.8 of the NSD application note 72, specific to the LM3900 quad current input amplifier.
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/snoa653/snoa653.pdf
I think I'm getting into this. You mean divide the 32.768 kHz by two which means change it into 1 Hz right? so it will produce a real time? Isn't? Why the 5 minutes instead 10 minutes and 15 minutes? Or is it the difference between them?

alan123hk said:
If your main purpose is not to practice electronic circuit design, there may be other simple ways to achieve the goal, namely when the circuit counts up to 10 minutes, it will sound a buzzer... when it lasts for 15 minutes, it will sound Buzzer again.

You may edit and create an audio file to play a short melody when the time reaches 10 minutes and another short melody when the time reaches 15 minutes by a smart phone.
You may also simply record a short sound file using the microphone on your smart phone, and all you have to do is just generate the sounds at the specified times for the record.
However, the disadvantage of using only audio files is that no screen displays the remaining time.

There may be another more simple solution, just try to download a free Multiple Timer apps to your smartphone /tablet computer.

Of course you can add an external amplifier to produce the desired loudness of the sound
Thanks man, but my purpose here is to understand flip-flop and logic gates (which they are on my courses). I started practicing since last year which is my second year of college

tech99 said:
Can you use two flip-flops with a time period of five minutes each? Than another to make the buzz.
You mean by using two flip-flops with a time period of five minutes each will produce a buzzer? Heum.. I see that is no problem at all, but what I'm trying to do here is how to use a flip-flop, each counter and each decoder, to produce a buzzer at 10 minutes and 15 minutes

Baluncore said:
Do you need to display the time or only make the sound at 10 and 15 minutes?
Well, I also need to display it by using 7 segments. Well, if I can make the sound at 10 minutes and 15 minutes, that would be great, but if I can make it just by a sign (maybe LED which acts as a sign), that will do the job

fahadnajed said:
We weren't allowed to use an Arduino, Microcontroller, PLCs, IC NE555, and a 4000 series CMOS IC
fahadnajed said:
Yeah sure, it's allowed to use logic gates

So you're allowed to use any series of logic gates but the 4000 series? Is there a specific reasoning for this?

BoB

rbelli1 said:
So you're allowed to use any series of logic gates but the 4000 series? Is there a specific reasoning for this?

BoB
Yes. Because my lecturer needs the students to understand the basic logic gates. In order to understand, we need to separate each counter and each decoder

Most or all of the 4000 series digital logic is available in the other series.

BoB

For that kind of accuracy - just filter the mains frequency (to remove noise), convert it to digital form and count down from that.

It seems that you mainly need the following components to make the apparatus.

1. Clock source (crystal oscillator / ceramic / RC resonator)
2. Several BCD counters
3. Several BCD to seven-segment decoders
4. Seven-segment display
5. Some flip flops
6. some logic gates and transistors
7. Active / passive buzzer

If the clock accuracy is not important, you may use RC resonator as clock source, in addition, you may only need two BCD counters/decoders if minute counting interval is also acceptable.

Last edited:
Svein said:
For that kind of accuracy - just filter the mains frequency (to remove noise), convert it to digital form and count down from that.
It would probably be best not be using a mains supply; batteries would do the job well enough and the device could be used anywhere. Making the clock oscillator would be a useful but easy task. I have had bad experiences with mains based clocks because they can be vulnerable to mains voltage spikes and other RFI.

1. How does a digital counter circuit work?

A digital counter circuit works by using a series of electronic components, such as flip-flops and logic gates, to count and display a sequence of numbers. Each component stores a bit of information, and when combined, they can count up or down in binary code.

2. What components are needed to make a digital counter circuit?

The main components needed for a digital counter circuit are flip-flops, logic gates, and a clock signal. Additional components such as resistors, capacitors, and LEDs may also be used for specific functions or to display the count visually.

3. How do you make a digital counter circuit count to 10 minutes?

To make a digital counter circuit count to 10 minutes, you will need to use a clock signal with a frequency of 1 Hz (1 cycle per second) and connect it to a 4-bit binary counter. This will allow the counter to count up to 10 minutes, as 1 Hz x 60 seconds x 10 minutes = 600 cycles.

4. Can a digital counter circuit count in different intervals?

Yes, a digital counter circuit can count in different intervals by adjusting the frequency of the clock signal. For example, if you want the counter to count in 1-second intervals, you would use a clock signal with a frequency of 1 Hz. If you want the counter to count in 1-hour intervals, you would use a clock signal with a frequency of 1/3600 Hz.

5. What are some common applications of a digital counter circuit?

A digital counter circuit has many applications, including in electronic devices such as timers, clocks, and calculators. It can also be used in industrial settings for counting production units or in scientific experiments for measuring time intervals. Additionally, digital counter circuits are used in communication systems for encoding and decoding signals.