Where to Learn how to Design Circuits?

In summary: You can also use Google to look for "circuit diagram troubleshooting" or something along those lines.
Alex Hughes
Hello, I'm currently getting my degree in mechanical engineering but have lately taken an interest in electronics. I've ordered several books and have learned a ton about resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes, etc. However, every circuit I have made so far has been one that somebody else has already designed and I just built it myself, following the diagram. I'm really curious on where I can learn how to design my own circuits. For example, if I want to make a common-emitter amplifier for a certain purpose, where can I learn exactly what resistor values, capacitor values, and transistors to use? If anybody could recommend some books or cites for me to check out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have any book recommendations since I've been away from the field for a while but let me say this. Starting off by building/studying circuits designed by others is exactly the right thing to do. The next step is to start to make your own modifications to those circuits just to make sure you really understand how they work and what happens when you change component values. THEN the next step is to work on your own circuit designs but even then it's likely you'll want to base them on existing circuits.

There's a saying in software coding that the best coders are inveterate thieves, meaning that they lift existing code rather than re-write it. I think that beginning circuit design is exactly the same.

Likes Alex Hughes
Thank you phinds, that makes sense. If anybody else has any books they recommend or links they can post. Please do so!

Alex Hughes said:
I've ordered several books and have learned a ton about resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes, etc.
Have you looked at "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0521809266/?tag=pfamazon01-20

IMO, it's a good book to learn basic circuit design from, and has a number of practical tips about real-world circuit design. If there is a technical school library near you, stop by and see if you can look through the book to see if you like it.

And here is an old PF thread that discusses one aspect of the book, "Bad Circuits" and what might be wrong with them:

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/bad-circuits-test-your-knowledge.178516/

:smile:

Likes Asymptotic, Alex Hughes and davenn
To add to what others have said, it depends on what your end goals are.
In addition to software knowledge, buying an aruidino can be a great platform to learn about digital and analog circuitry.
Its a great tool that will allow you to control and test your circuits. Building basic things with an aruidino may also provide you with a purpose for building the circuitry. You may decide to build a power supply from the ground up, rather than buy one, you may decide to design your own H-bridge, rather than buy one, etc.

Likes Alex Hughes
The Art of Electronics is a little cheaper for used at:
https://www.gettextbooks.com/isbn/9780521809269/
And try a Google search for the ISBN: https://www.google.com/search?q=978-0521809269

You can also use a simulator program such as PSPICE (many free versions on the web) or TINA-TI from Texas Instruments (http://www.ti.com/tool/tina-ti) which is based on PSPICE and is also free and widely used. One advantage of using a simulator is instead of smoking components and waiting for a replacement to arrive, you can try out different component values and even look at waveforms without investing in an oscilloscope and other pricey instruments right away. A simulator is also quite handy for fine tuning a pencil-and-paper design, and a lot easier!

Cheers
Tom

Likes kirschmackey, Asymptotic, berkeman and 1 other person
I would suggest using Engineering app ebook. You can get it for free on the play store. They have several free books you can try. You could also use an engineering electronics calculator to check your work, they often also can tell you why you need certain values, or you can use the ebooks I mentioned to tell you why

My suggestion is to find and repair non-working equipment. Power supplies are a good start. Once you learn common failures and the reason why they failed, you will gain some insight in what not to do in a design.

Last edited:
Likes Tom.G and Asymptotic

1. What is the best way to learn how to design circuits?

The best way to learn how to design circuits is to start by understanding the fundamentals of electronics, such as Ohm's Law and basic circuit components. From there, you can move on to learning about specific types of circuits and their applications. Hands-on experience through building and testing circuits is also crucial in gaining a strong understanding of circuit design.

2. Are there any online resources for learning how to design circuits?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning how to design circuits. Websites such as CircuitLab and All About Circuits offer tutorials, simulations, and forums for beginners to learn and ask questions about circuit design. There are also many YouTube channels and online courses dedicated to teaching circuit design.

3. Do I need a degree in electrical engineering to learn how to design circuits?

No, a degree in electrical engineering is not necessary to learn how to design circuits. However, having a strong understanding of math, physics, and electronics can be beneficial. With dedication and self-study, anyone can learn how to design circuits.

4. Are there any hands-on workshops or classes for learning how to design circuits?

Yes, there are often workshops and classes offered by universities, community colleges, and makerspaces that focus on teaching circuit design. These hands-on experiences can be valuable in gaining practical skills and receiving feedback from experienced instructors.

5. How long does it typically take to learn how to design circuits?

The amount of time it takes to learn how to design circuits can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and dedication. With consistent effort and practice, one could become proficient in basic circuit design within a few months. However, mastering more complex designs and techniques may take several years of study and experience.