I am reading about differencial exact form, and i dont understand

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of differential exact form and why dθ is not considered exact. It is explained that this is because dθ is not a total derivative of any function and is not defined globally at the point (0,0). It is also noted that any candidate for a form θ with dθ = (xdy-ydx)/(x^2+y^2) agrees with the arctan function, which is the angle function in polar coordinates. However, there is no global angle function defined on R^2-{(0,0)}, thus contributing to the non-exactness of dθ.
alejandrito29
i am reading about differencial exact form, and i don't understand why

[tex] d \theta [/tex] is not a exact...

i think that is because [tex] d \theta [/tex] is not a total derivative of some function, since

[tex] d \theta = \frac{1}{x^2+x^2} (-y dx+xdy)[/tex] is not definned globally in x,y = 0,0...

¿is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think the region where it is not exact is R^2-{(0,0)},

and one reason is that any candidate for a form θ with

dθ= (xdy- ydx)/ (x2+y2) would agree

with the arctan function, i.e., the angle function in polar coordinates

( set r2=x2+y2 , and work with polar coordinates)

and there is no global angle function defined on R2-{0,0}

Related to I am reading about differencial exact form, and i dont understand

1. What is a differential exact form?

A differential exact form is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and calculus. It is a type of differential form that satisfies certain conditions, including being closed and having a unique potential function. Differential exact forms are useful in solving problems related to integration, vector fields, and differential equations.

2. How is a differential exact form different from a differential form?

A differential form is a general term that encompasses many different types of forms, including differential exact forms. However, differential exact forms are unique in that they satisfy additional conditions, such as being closed and exact. This means that they are easier to work with and have more specific applications in mathematics.

3. What is the role of differential exact forms in vector calculus?

Differential exact forms play a crucial role in vector calculus, specifically in the study of vector fields. They allow us to express vector fields in terms of potential functions, which make calculations and problem-solving much easier. In addition, differential exact forms are used in the fundamental theorem of calculus, which relates integration to differentiation.

4. How can I recognize a differential exact form?

To recognize a differential exact form, you can check if it satisfies the two conditions: being closed and exact. A closed form is one in which the exterior derivative is equal to zero, while an exact form has a unique potential function. If a form satisfies both of these conditions, then it is a differential exact form.

5. What are some real-life applications of differential exact forms?

Differential exact forms have many real-life applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to describe physical quantities such as work, heat, and energy. In engineering, they are used in the design and analysis of structures and systems. In economics, they are used in optimization problems and economic modeling. Additionally, differential exact forms have applications in computer graphics, fluid dynamics, and many other areas of science and mathematics.