I am having trouble relating to impulse

• Thread starter harvellt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impulse
In summary, a 4.0g super ball with a speed of 15.0 m/s strikes a hard smooth wall perpendicularly, causing the center of mass to move .50 CM toward the wall and then back again. The impulse delivered by the wall is -0.12 N.S and the time average force is 1.2 N.S. The average speed during the collision can be found using the kinematic equation dx=1/2(dv)t.
harvellt
1. A super ball, made of rubblerlike plastic, is thrown against a hard smooth wall. The ball has a mass of 4.0g and strikes the wall from a perpendicular direction with a speed of 15.0 m/s. For simplicity, assume that the acceleration is constant while the ball is in contact with the wall. After touching the wall, the center of mass of the Super Ball moves .50 CM toward the wall and then moves the same distance away to the complete the bounce.
What is the magnitude of the impulse delivered by the wall?
What is the magnitude of the time average force?

2. dMomentum= MV'-MV, Impulse=(MV'-MV)/dt
3. Pretty lost here. I tried relating the movement of the center of mass to the dt and then treating dmomentum. So [(-15m/s)(0.004kg)-(15m/s)(0.004gk)]=-0.12 N.S then
1.2N/S/(0.005m/15m/s)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harvellt said:
So [(-15m/s)(0.04kg)-(15m/s)(0.04gk)]=1.2 N.S
The mass is 0.004 kg, not 0.04.
then
1.2N/S/(0.005m/15m/s)
What's the average speed during the collision? Use that to find the total time of the collision.

Well the conversion is a little embarrassing but where I am lost is finding the average speed over the collision.

Assume the acceleration over each half of the collision is uniform. The initial speed is V0 and the final speed is 0. So what's the average speed?

Thank you so much I used the kinematics dx=1/2(dv)t, and got it.

Related to I am having trouble relating to impulse

1. How can I control my impulsive behavior?

One way to control impulsive behavior is to recognize and label your impulses as they arise. This can help you pause and consider the consequences of acting on them. Practicing mindfulness and utilizing relaxation techniques can also help reduce impulsivity.

2. Why am I having trouble relating to my impulses?

There can be many reasons for difficulty in relating to impulses, such as past experiences, genetics, or underlying mental health issues. It may be helpful to speak with a therapist or counselor to better understand the root causes of your impulsivity.

3. Is impulsivity a bad thing?

It depends on the context. Sometimes, impulsivity can lead to positive outcomes, such as taking risks or being spontaneous. However, if it becomes a pattern that leads to negative consequences, it may be a problem that needs to be addressed.

4. Can impulsivity be treated?

Yes, impulsivity can be treated through various methods such as therapy, medication, and lifestyle changes. It is important to work with a professional to determine the best course of treatment for your specific situation.

5. How can I improve my impulse control?

Improving impulse control takes practice and patience. Some ways to improve include setting goals and making a plan to achieve them, seeking support from loved ones, and finding healthy outlets for emotions and urges. It may also be beneficial to work with a therapist to develop specific strategies for controlling impulses.