Collisions, Impulse, and Reference Frames

In summary, a racquet ball with mass 0.245 kg and initial velocity of 15.4 m/s at an angle of 28° makes a perfectly elastic collision with a solid, frictionless wall, and rebounds at the same angle after being in contact for 0.069 s. The magnitude of the initial momentum is 3.773 kgm/s and the magnitude of the change in momentum can be found by considering the horizontal and vertical components of velocity. The magnitude of the average force exerted by the wall on the ball can be calculated using the equation Favg*delta(t) = impulse.
sam_amy
A racquet ball with mass m = 0.245 kg is moving toward the wall at v = 15.4 m/s and at an angle of θ = 28° with respect to the horizontal. The ball makes a perfectly elastic collision with the solid, frictionless wall and rebounds at the same angle with respect to the horizontal. The ball is in contact with the wall for t = 0.069 s.

What is the magnitude of the initial momentum of the racquet ball?
What is the magnitude of the change in momentum of the racquet ball?
What is the magnitude of the average force the wall exerts on the racquet ball?

I've already computed the initial momentum =3.773kgm/s but I honestly can't figure out the second question...
I'm using Favg*delta(t) equals impulse but I can't figure it out
Please help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since, it's hitting the wall at an angle, you'll have to think of it in terms of components. If the wall is vertical, then the object is either moving up or down with some horizontal velocity when it hits it. Think about how the horizontal and vertical components of velocity will change, and thus how the components of momentum will change.

Ahhhh! Got it! Thank you so much!

Related to Collisions, Impulse, and Reference Frames

1. What is a collision?

A collision is an event in which two or more objects come into contact with each other and exchange energy or momentum. This can be either an elastic collision, where there is no loss of energy, or an inelastic collision, where some energy is lost in the form of heat or sound.

2. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in momentum of an object. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time over which the force is applied. In other words, it is the product of force and time.

3. How do collisions and impulse relate?

In a collision, the impulse experienced by an object is equal to the change in momentum of the object. This means that the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the more significant the effect of the collision.

4. What is a reference frame?

A reference frame is a set of coordinates used to describe the position and motion of objects. It can be fixed to a specific object, such as the ground, or it can be relative to another moving object.

5. How do reference frames affect collisions and impulse?

Reference frames play a crucial role in determining the outcomes of collisions and the magnitude of impulse. The same collision can be viewed differently depending on the reference frame used, and the impulse experienced by an object can vary depending on the reference frame of the observer.