I am curious, how many people here are insomniacs? Personally, I

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curious
In summary, many people here are insomniacs. Caffeine does not help them sleep, and activities like playing video games or going on the computer keep them awake. If you want to sleep, try to completely stop your thoughts when you lie in bed.
Aero51
I am curious, how many people here are insomniacs? Personally, I haven't gotten to bed before 5am in the past 2 months. It is very weird, I have been like this my whole life. I've read that a lot of people in the sciences tend to be night owls. There are a lot of scientists here, maybe if its true the majority are insomniacs! Who knows, cya tomorrow (or this afternoon if you prefer).

Physics news on Phys.org

What are your habits in the evening? I've known people who had similar problems, mainly it was because they got into bad habits of playing video games or going on their computer for hours before bed and didn't come off if they didn't fall asleep. Activities with screens, especially interactive activities, keep the brain stimulated. Shutting off all gadgetry along those lines and spending some time reading a book in soft light tends to help.

If you've tried all this and I'm teaching you to suck eggs I apologise

Insomnia is more to do with going to bed and not being able to fall asleep, or not being able to remain asleep. It sounds more like your sleep cycle may be off. I have always been a "night owl", prefering to do things at night rather than during the day.

I made the startling discovery that caffeinated drinks actually keeps me awake for several hours after I drink them :biggrin:. No caffeine after ~10am = a very good night's sleep.

It's funny to me how many people (usually young'uns) are completely in denial about the effects of caffeine.

lisab said:
I made the startling discovery that caffeinated drinks actually keeps me awake for several hours after I drink them :biggrin:. No caffeine after ~10am = a very good night's sleep.

It's funny to me how many people (usually young'uns) are completely in denial about the effects of caffeine.
I'm one of those people that actually are not affected by caffeine. I can drink a pot of coffee and fall asleep. For years I would have a large cup of coffee right before going to sleep at night, it relaxed me, it still does. My mother is one that has one cup of coffee and will be "climbing the walls", as she put it.

My grandma sometimes have problems with sleep, and I'm sure she can't fall asleep because she can't slow down her thoughts.

Seriously, just try to completely stop your thoughts when lying in bed. It works for me wonderfuly.

Caffeine is not a problem for me, I can drink two cups and fall asleep easily. Even when watching a movie: I just close my eyes briefly and the next moment I open my eyes the movie has ended and the television is off.

In the morning caffeine has a different effect, two cups then feels like an overdose and indeed drives me up the walls.

I do prefer to work in the evenings, that's when my focus is the best, but work is forcing me to get up early, thus falling asleep in the evening :frown:

I don't drink a lot of caffine (even in the morning) because I get extremely bad stomach aches. I don't do anything active after 12am either unless I'm hitting up the bars with friends. I do read a lot of wikipedia/damninteresting and watch x-files (up to season 6 now!) until like 4am haha. My parents told me that when I was in elementary school they couldn't get me to bed before 12. Genetics?

Due to having to be at work at 5 A.M., I have no problem going to sleep at about 9 P.M. My only sleeping problem is sometimes I'll wake up for no apparent reason, and then I can't go back to sleep because my brain thinks 2 A.M. is a great time to run through every problem or semi-problem in my life.

Related to I am curious, how many people here are insomniacs? Personally, I

1. What is insomnia?

Insomnia is a sleep disorder characterized by difficulty falling or staying asleep. It can also lead to poor quality sleep and feeling tired during the day.

2. How common is insomnia?

Insomnia is a common sleep disorder, affecting approximately 30% of adults in the United States. It is more prevalent in women and older adults.

3. What causes insomnia?

Insomnia can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, depression, medications, and certain medical conditions. It can also be a result of poor sleep habits or an irregular sleep schedule.

4. Can insomnia be treated?

Yes, there are several treatment options for insomnia, including cognitive behavioral therapy, medications, and lifestyle changes. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the best treatment plan for individual needs.

5. Is insomnia a serious condition?

Insomnia can have a significant impact on a person's overall health and well-being. It can lead to daytime fatigue, difficulty concentrating, and increased risk of accidents. If left untreated, it can also increase the risk of developing other health conditions.