Hypothetical question (just a joke)

• Thread starter Field physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jokes
Field physics
If the sun was to go super nova and I've read that can get hotter than 1,000,000,000° C.
So, the hypothetically question is if I was on Mars would it get hot enough to make my pop tart nice, warm, and creamy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Briefly. And then it will swiftly exceed that point.

Flyboy said:
Yes. Briefly. And then it will swiftly exceed that point.
Before or after I get the chance to enjoy my last snack?

Field physics said:
Before or after I get the chance to enjoy my last snack?
… how fast can you eat a poptart?

Flyboy said:
… how fast can you eat a poptart?
About 10-15 seconds if Its a quick snack before class

According to my maths, the power deposition on Mars during such a supernova would be about 10 quadrillion* times higher than if you were currently sitting in a rowboat, floating on the sun, roasting your pop tart over the side on a stick. Haven't a clue how fast that would heat up a pop tart. Sorry!
This might make a fun science problem though. According to my googling, the filament in a toaster runs at about 1000 Kelvin and the surface temperature of the sun is about 6000 Kelvin. Since the melting point of Tungsten is about 3700 Kelvin, we might have to resort to welding torches to test how long it takes a pop tart to heat up @ 6000 Kelvin. And then translating that to the 10 quadrillion factor I mentioned earlier..... hmmm..... Perhaps we could borrow someones fusion reactor. I hear they get kinda hot. But I would definitely start by analyzing the toaster environment, and work from there.

*Given that I'm not an astrophysicist, I changed the fewest number of variables possible, so this number may be off by a bazillion or more.

• Informative
Likes Field physics
This is my rough estimate I'd need way more time and will probably need a astrophysicist to help correct any errors in the math or errors of other variables I missed .

I got about 0.8-6.9 seconds to eat
1000001241.jpg
1000001242.jpg

OmCheeto said:
This might make a fun science problem though.

Field physics said:
If the sun was to go super nova and I've read that can get hotter than 1,000,000,000° C.
So, the hypothetically question is if I was on Mars would it get hot enough to make my pop tart nice, warm, and creamy?
I've never had a creamy poptard. It was crispy with hot jam in the middle.

Likes Field physics
This reminds me of one of my favorite XKCD 'What If's: #73.

Which of the following would be brighter, in terms of the amount of energy delivered to your retina:

1. A supernova, seen from as far away as the Sun is from the Earth, or
  2. The detonation of a hydrogen bomb pressed against your eyeball?
neutrinos_bomb.png

Applying the physicist rule of thumb suggests that the supernova is brighter. And indeed, it is ... by nine orders of magnitude.

Bonus quote:
"The physicist who mentioned this problem to me told me his rule of thumb for estimating supernova-related numbers: However big you think supernovae are, they're bigger than that."

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto, Flyboy, phinds and 1 other person