Hypercomplex number system

• B
  • Thread starter Isaac0427
  • Start date
  • Tags
    System
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential usefulness of an extension of hypercomplex numbers defined by the equation ##g^2=i##. The powers of g from 0 to 8 are listed, and the speaker shares their surprise at not finding an established hypercomplex system with this property. The other person mentions that all polynomial expressions have a solution in the complex numbers, and this is a fundamental property of the complex numbers. The first person then questions if ##\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}## could also be a useful hypercomplex system. The conversation ends with a discussion about the definition of hypercomplex numbers and references to various number systems and historical explanations.
Isaac0427
Insights Author
Hi,

I was just wondering if an extension of hypercomplex numbers like this have any use or if it would be pointless:

The number g is defined by ##g^2=i##. Then, the powers of g from 0 to 8 (where the cycle restarts) would be 1, g, i, ig, -1, -g, -i, -ig, 1. There's a lot of interesting things I found that you can do with this. I was surprised, however, that I couldn't find a hypercomplex system like this that was established, making me wonder if this system is pointless; it does seem like something someone would come up with easily. Any thoughts?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is a complex number with that property. Can you find it?

More general: all polynomial expressions like yours have a solution. This is one of the most important properties of the complex numbers: The fundamental theorem of algebra.

mfb said:
There is a complex number with that property. Can you find it?

More general: all polynomial expressions like yours have a solution. This is one of the most important properties of the complex numbers: The fundamental theorem of algebra.
I know that ##\frac{1+i}{\sqrt{2}}## fits that definition. But, could this also be a useful hypercomplex system as well?

How do you define hypercomplex numbers? I've read a definition which says it's a division algebra over the reals. With this definition ##\mathbb{R}## and ##\mathbb{C}## are also hypercomplex and therefore ##\mathbb{C}[g]## as well, but ##\mathbb{C}=\mathbb{C}[g]##, so how would this help? If you read the corresponding Wikipedia entry you will find interesting objects (number systems like dual numbers, octonions, sedenions, bicomplex numbers, biquaternion numbers) and historical explanations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypercomplex_number

1. What is a hypercomplex number system?

A hypercomplex number system is a mathematical system that extends the traditional complex numbers (which include real and imaginary numbers) to include additional dimensions or components. These additional components are often referred to as hyperimaginary or hyperreal numbers.

2. How is a hypercomplex number represented?

A hypercomplex number can be written in the form a + bi + cj + dk, where a, b, c, and d are real numbers and i, j, and k are the hyperimaginary or hyperreal units. Alternatively, it can also be represented as a vector in a higher-dimensional space.

3. What are the different types of hypercomplex numbers?

There are several types of hypercomplex numbers, including quaternions (with 4 components), octonions (with 8 components), and sedenions (with 16 components). These numbers have different properties and applications, with quaternions being commonly used in computer graphics and physics.

4. What are the operations on hypercomplex numbers?

The operations on hypercomplex numbers are similar to those on complex numbers, with the addition and multiplication of these numbers following the same rules. Additionally, they also involve the operations of conjugation, norm, and inverse, which are used to calculate properties such as magnitude and direction.

5. What are the applications of hypercomplex numbers?

Hypercomplex numbers have a variety of applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used in areas such as computer graphics, robotics, quantum mechanics, and signal processing. They also have potential applications in fields like computer vision and artificial intelligence.