Finding the chromatic number of a graph with biconnected components

In summary, the problem involves a graph G that is simple and connected, where every biconnected component is a cycle of at least four vertices. The maximum number of components obtained from removing a cut vertex is 4. The question is to find tight bounds on the chromatic number of G. After considering cases for even and odd cycles, it is determined that the chromatic number for an even cycle is at least 2 and for an odd cycle is at least 3. This means that the chromatic number of G is bounded by 2 and 3. The premise about the cut vertex is not necessary to determine these bounds, but it may be useful in proving the structure of the
Superyoshiom
Our problem involves a graph G that is simple and connected, where every biconnected component is a cycle that has at least four vertices in it. The maximum number of components we can get from removing a cut vertex is 4, and we are asked to find tight bounds on the chromatic number of G.

My idea was to take the cycles and then do cases for whether they are even or odd:

1) Even cycle - in an even cycle we can have have at least two colors if we alternate colors for the vertices. For every vertex that is neighboring the biconnected component, then, we wouldn't need to add new colors since we just make them the alternate of whatever they are next to. So we'd only need a chromatic number of 2 here.

2) Odd cycle - similar idea, but we'd need three vertices for a cycle so our chromatic number of 3.

So my final answr would be 2<=X(G)=3, but this doesn't make that much sense to me, and I didn't really need to use the information about the cut vertices. I'm not sure where to proceed from here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I believe your bounds of 2 and 3 are correct, and that the premise about the cut vertex is not needed. To be sure, we'd need to make the proof more rigorous than what is above though.

I believe the premises, excluding the cut vertex one, imply that the graph must consist of cycles of length at least four, that can be arranged in a non-recombining tree. Each biconnected component (cycle) of the graph is a node of that tree. Each "edge" of the tree is a sequence of one or more serially-connected cut vertices (of the original graph). One such sequence in the original graph may manifest as more than one edge in the tree. The 'cut vertex' premise implies the sequence cannot manifest as more than four tree edges. But that has no impact on the colouring bounds.

If that is the case, it is easy to see that your bounds hold. But we need to make rigorous the proof that the graph does indeed have that form.,

1. What is the chromatic number of a graph?

The chromatic number of a graph is the minimum number of colors needed to color all the vertices of the graph such that no two adjacent vertices have the same color.

2. What are biconnected components in a graph?

Biconnected components are subgraphs of a graph that cannot be disconnected by the removal of a single vertex. In other words, there is no single vertex whose removal would disconnect the subgraph.

3. How do biconnected components affect the chromatic number of a graph?

Biconnected components can affect the chromatic number of a graph by creating separate subgraphs that may require different colors. This can increase the overall chromatic number of the graph.

4. How do you find the chromatic number of a graph with biconnected components?

To find the chromatic number of a graph with biconnected components, you can use an algorithm such as the greedy coloring algorithm. This algorithm assigns colors to the vertices one by one, ensuring that no two adjacent vertices have the same color. It takes into account the biconnected components and assigns colors accordingly.

5. Is the chromatic number of a graph with biconnected components always higher than a graph without biconnected components?

Not necessarily. The chromatic number of a graph with biconnected components can be lower if the biconnected components are small enough that they can be colored with the same set of colors as the rest of the graph. However, in most cases, the chromatic number will be higher due to the separate subgraphs created by the biconnected components.