Hyperbolic Differentiation: How Do We Differentiate Functions with Exponents?

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of the chain rule in differentiating functions, specifically in the case of differentiating functions in exponents. The correct solution was provided, but there was confusion as to why the incorrect method did not work. The mistake was identified as an error in the calculation of dv/du, with the correct calculation being \log x + \frac ux \frac{dx}{du}. The application of the chain rule was also explained in the context of differentiating functions in exponents.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Differentiate
gif.gif

Homework Equations

Chain Rule: dg/dx = du/dx . dv/du . dg/dv

The Attempt at a Solution

My answer(wrong):
e33ab0e3d5.jpg

Correct answer provided to us(not mine):
2be4cb75b9.png

I understand the correct solution that was provided to us, but what I don't understand is why my method isn't correct? Also can you check in particular my dv/du . I suspect there's something wrong there.

Physics news on Phys.org
The derivative of [itex]3^v = e^{v \log 3}[/itex] is [itex](\log 3) e^{v \log 3} = (\log 3)3^v[/itex], not [itex]3v^{v-1}[/itex] which appears to be what you have.

If you set [itex]v = u\log x[/itex] then you want to calculate [tex]\frac{dv}{du} = \log x + \frac ux \frac{dx}{du}[/tex] and the [itex]\frac{dx}{du}[/itex] cancels with [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] when you apply the chain rule.

Differentiating functions in exponents is straightforward: By the chain rule, with [itex]a > 0[/itex], [tex]
\frac{d}{dx} a^{f(x)} = (\log a)a^{f(x)} f'(x).[/tex]

Related to Hyperbolic Differentiation: How Do We Differentiate Functions with Exponents?

1. What is hyperbolic differentiation?

Hyperbolic differentiation is a mathematical concept that deals with the derivatives of hyperbolic functions. These functions are similar to trigonometric functions, but they use hyperbolic ratios instead of circular ratios.

2. What is the difference between hyperbolic differentiation and regular differentiation?

The main difference is that hyperbolic differentiation deals with hyperbolic functions, while regular differentiation deals with trigonometric functions. Additionally, the rules for differentiating hyperbolic functions are slightly different from those for differentiating trigonometric functions.

3. How is hyperbolic differentiation used in real-world applications?

Hyperbolic differentiation is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, economics, and signal processing. It is particularly useful in modeling natural phenomena that exhibit exponential decay or growth, such as radioactive decay and population growth.

4. Are there any limitations to hyperbolic differentiation?

Like regular differentiation, hyperbolic differentiation has its limitations. It cannot be used to differentiate discontinuous functions or functions with infinite or undefined values. Additionally, the rules for differentiating hyperbolic functions can be complex and may not always yield a closed-form solution.

5. What are some common hyperbolic functions used in hyperbolic differentiation?

Some common hyperbolic functions include the hyperbolic sine, cosine, and tangent functions. These functions have similar properties to their trigonometric counterparts, such as being odd or even, but they use hyperbolic ratios instead of circular ratios.