Hydrostatic Force (Out of my Calc book)

In summary, the problem involves expressing force as an integral and evaluating it, with the given constraints of a submerged semicircle and weight density. The individual is struggling with setting up the integral correctly and determining the appropriate upper and lower bounds. After some trial and error, they have finally solved the problem.
mateomy
This is technically a physics problem but its straight outta my calculus book...

water.jpg

The instructions are to express the force as an integral and evaluate it.

My problem is just the initial set up. I've tried a couple of different ways and none of them get me the answer that I am seeing in the back of the book.

I know that I am looking at a half circle so that would be [itex]\frac{1}{2}\pi(r^2)[/itex] and I would be evaluating it with respect to x (or y, depending on my axes). Also, the semicircle is submerged 2ft below the surface, so is that (total depth - y), (7 - y)? I am super confused.

On top of all this, I don't even know what upper and lower bounds I should be evaluating it at. 2 to 7? 0 to 5?

All in all this is the closest -yet, incorrect- way I've come to setting it up. Oh, I am using [itex]\delta[/itex] as my weight density (62.5 lb/ft^3).

[tex]
\int\limits_?^? \delta \frac{\pi}{2} (\sqrt{r^2 - y^2})^2 (7 - y) dy
[/tex]

Completely lost, any help or nudges in the right direction would be tremendously appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind...got it.

Related to Hydrostatic Force (Out of my Calc book)

1. What is hydrostatic force?

Hydrostatic force is the force exerted by a fluid at rest on an object or surface immersed in the fluid. It is caused by the pressure of the fluid acting on the object or surface.

2. How is hydrostatic force calculated?

The hydrostatic force can be calculated by multiplying the density of the fluid by the acceleration due to gravity and the height of the fluid above the object or surface. This product is then multiplied by the area of the object or surface in contact with the fluid.

3. What is the significance of hydrostatic force in engineering?

Hydrostatic force is an important concept in engineering as it helps determine the stability and structural integrity of objects or structures in contact with fluids. It is also used in the design of hydraulic and pneumatic systems.

4. How does the shape of an object affect the hydrostatic force acting on it?

The shape of an object can greatly affect the hydrostatic force acting on it. Objects with a larger surface area in contact with the fluid will experience a greater hydrostatic force. Additionally, the shape can also affect the distribution of the force, with curved surfaces experiencing different forces at different points.

5. Can hydrostatic force be negative?

Yes, hydrostatic force can be negative if the object or surface is submerged in a fluid with a lower density than the object itself. In this case, the fluid will exert an upward force on the object, resulting in a negative hydrostatic force.