Hydraulics problem - calculate pressure at different points

In summary, the question involves finding the pressure at point B, which is 36.5m above the ground, in a system where lubricating oil is pumped through a pipe with a diameter of 3mm. The given information includes the density and viscosity of the oil, flow rate, and pressure at point A. However, the numbers seem unrealistic and there is confusion about the type of pressure specified. The Bernoulli equation was attempted to solve the problem, but the result was negative and incorrect. Despite requesting clarification from instructors, the issue remains unresolved.
jet1985

Homework Statement

Hey, stuck on this question in my hydraulics course:

Question involves lubricating oil pumped around a large piece of machinery.
Density of oil = 810 km/m3.
Viscosity = 0.01 kg/m.s throughout the system.
Flow rate is 0.140 Litres/sec
Pipe diameter = 3mm

Pressure at point A = 1.55 kPa.
Point A is 5m above the ground.

Point B is 36.5m above the ground. Question requires pressure to be found at this point ignoring minor losses and friction.

Homework Equations

Bernoulli

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve this problem using Bernoulli equation: (pA/Pg)+(VA2/2g) + ZA = (pB/Pg)+(VB2/2g)+ZB, However the result I get is negative and looks all wrong.

We were given very limited information but I assume we have enough info to answer the question. I don't see how the pressure at point A could possibly be only 1.55 kPa, given the oil is being lifted 31.5m high and 1.55 kPa is many times less pressure than even a car tyre.

The flow rate also seems unrealistically high, and the pipe diameter seems unrealistically narrow.

The question only specifies "pressure = 1.55 kPa". Is it possible they meant dynamic pressure?

Physics news on Phys.org
Something seems wrong with the numbers given in the problem. They seem unrealistic to me as well. Besides pressure issues as you say, the velocity is almost 20 m/sec. That would cause a lot of heating of the oil and large pressure drops.

Last edited:
For the purposes of answering the question, that would not matter as we have been told to ignore minor losses and friction losses. However I cannot get my head around the pressure drop.

Also, I have asked to lecturers for clarification on the question, but they have been very lazy about getting back to me... I thought perhaps they meant MPa instead of kPa.

Related to Hydraulics problem - calculate pressure at different points

What is a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system is a mechanism that uses pressurized fluid to generate and transmit power. It consists of a pump, hydraulic fluid, valves, and actuators that work together to power various types of machinery and equipment.

How do you calculate pressure in a hydraulic system?

To calculate pressure in a hydraulic system, you need to know the force acting on the fluid, the area of the piston or cylinder, and the density of the fluid. The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. By plugging in the values, you can calculate the pressure at a specific point in the system.

What is the purpose of calculating pressure at different points in a hydraulic system?

Calculating pressure at different points in a hydraulic system allows engineers to ensure the system is operating efficiently and safely. It also helps identify any potential issues or areas of concern, such as excessive pressure or pressure drops, which can affect the performance of the system.

What factors can affect pressure in a hydraulic system?

There are several factors that can affect pressure in a hydraulic system, including the amount of force applied, the size of the piston or cylinder, the viscosity of the fluid, and the temperature of the fluid. Changes in these factors can result in variations in pressure at different points in the system.

How can pressure be regulated in a hydraulic system?

Pressure in a hydraulic system can be regulated by adjusting the flow rate of the fluid, changing the size of the pump, or using pressure relief valves. These methods help maintain the desired pressure and prevent any potential damage to the system or equipment.