Hydraulic Brake Problem How to Start?

In summary, the hydraulic brake system has a master cylinder with a piston area of 6.41 cm2 and a brake cylinder with a piston area of 1.69 cm2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the brake shoe and wheel drum is 0.449. To find the frictional force between the brake shoe and wheel drum when a force of 44 N is exerted on the pedal, we can use the equation F1/A1 = F2/A2 to relate the forces. By substituting the given values, we can then use the equation F = μFn to find the frictional force, where μ is the coefficient of kinetic friction and Fn is the normal force.
DrunkApple

Homework Statement

A hydraulic brake system is shown. The
area of the piston in the master cylinder is
6.41 cm2, and the area of the piston in the
brake cylinder is 1.69 cm2. The coefficient of
kinetic friction between the brake shoe and
the wheel drum is 0.449.
How large is the frictional force between the
brake shoe and the wheel drum when a force
of 44 N is exerted on the pedal?
Answer in units of N

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{F1}{A1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{F2}{A2}\frac{}{}[/itex]
A1 = 6.41 cm[itex]^{2}[/itex]
A2 = 1.69 cm[itex]^{2}[/itex]
F = 44 N
μ = 0.449
F = μF[itex]_{n}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to relate coefficient to this problem. Would you give me some hint please?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is difficult to see what your problem is... you can convert the force applied to the pedal to force applied to the drum?

Related to Hydraulic Brake Problem How to Start?

1. What is a hydraulic brake problem?

A hydraulic brake problem refers to an issue with the hydraulic system used to apply pressure to the brakes in a vehicle. This can include leaks, air bubbles, or other malfunctions that can affect the braking performance.

2. How can I identify if I have a hydraulic brake problem?

You may notice a few signs that indicate a hydraulic brake problem, such as a soft or spongy brake pedal, a decrease in braking power, or strange noises when applying the brakes. It's important to have a professional mechanic diagnose the issue to determine the exact cause.

3. What causes hydraulic brake problems?

Hydraulic brake problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including worn brake pads, damaged brake lines, or a malfunctioning master cylinder. These issues can lead to a loss of pressure in the hydraulic system, making it difficult to apply the brakes effectively.

4. Can I fix a hydraulic brake problem on my own?

While some minor issues, such as air bubbles in the brake lines, can be fixed by bleeding the brakes, most hydraulic brake problems require the expertise of a trained mechanic. Attempting to fix the issue on your own can be dangerous and may result in further damage to the vehicle.

5. How can I prevent hydraulic brake problems?

Regular maintenance and inspections of your vehicle's braking system can help prevent hydraulic brake problems. It's important to replace brake pads and fluid as recommended by the manufacturer and to address any issues promptly to avoid potential safety hazards on the road.