Piston Question: Have solution, don't understand rationale

In summary, the conversation discussed a hydraulic chamber with a spring attached to the input piston and a rock resting on the output plunger. The spring had a spring constant of 1580 N/m and the piston and plunger had areas of 15.3 cm2 and 66.6 cm2 respectively. Using the formula F1/A1=F2/A2, it was determined that the spring was compressed by 0.0597 m. The conversation also clarified the difference between the equations for spring force and potential energy stored in a spring.
hanag

Homework Statement

The drawing below shows a hydraulic chamber in which a spring (spring constant = 1580 N/m) is attached to the input piston (A1 = 15.3 cm2), and a rock of mass 41.9 kg rests on the output plunger (A2 = 66.6 cm2). The piston and plunger are nearly at the same height, and each has a negligible mass. By how much is the spring compressed from its unstrained position?

Homework Equations

F1/A1=F2/A2
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

F1/15.3 cm^2= 410.62 N/66.6 cm^2 F1=94.33 N

94.33 N= 1580 N/m
0.0597 m

I'm pretty sure this is the correct solution, I just don't understand why I should use F=kx rather than F=kx^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
hanag said:

Homework Statement

The drawing below shows a hydraulic chamber in which a spring (spring constant = 1580 N/m) is attached to the input piston (A1 = 15.3 cm2), and a rock of mass 41.9 kg rests on the output plunger (A2 = 66.6 cm2). The piston and plunger are nearly at the same height, and each has a negligible mass. By how much is the spring compressed from its unstrained position?

Homework Equations

F1/A1=F2/A2
F=kx

The Attempt at a Solution

F1/15.3 cm^2= 410.62 N/66.6 cm^2 F1=94.33 N

94.33 N= 1580 N/m
0.0597 m

I'm pretty sure this is the correct solution, I just don't understand why I should use F=kx rather than F=kx^2.

It looks like you are confusing the equation for spring force (F=-kx) with potential energy stored in a spring (E=1/2kx^2) :-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_(device)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pespr.html

Oh, I sure was. Thank you so much!

Related to Piston Question: Have solution, don't understand rationale

What is a piston?

A piston is a component in an engine or pump that moves back and forth within a cylinder, converting pressure into mechanical motion.

What is the purpose of a piston?

The purpose of a piston is to transfer the pressure created by the combustion of fuel in an engine into mechanical energy, which can then be used to power the vehicle or machine.

What is a solution in relation to a piston question?

In this context, a solution refers to a potential answer or explanation to a question or problem related to pistons. It could be a proposed design or method to improve the performance of a piston or resolve an issue with its function.

What does it mean to understand the rationale of a solution?

Understanding the rationale of a solution means comprehending the reasoning behind why it was chosen or how it works. It involves understanding the principles and scientific concepts behind the solution and how they apply to the specific problem at hand.

Why is it important to understand the rationale of a solution?

Understanding the rationale of a solution is important because it allows for a deeper understanding of the problem and how the solution addresses it. It also allows for potential improvements or modifications to the solution in the future. Additionally, understanding the rationale can help in troubleshooting and finding alternative solutions if needed.