Human Remote Control: Experience It Yourself

In summary, the conversation revolves around the invention of a technology called galvanic vestibular stimulation, which uses electricity to manipulate the nerves in the ear and control balance. While some are excited about the potential applications, others express concern about the safety and potential side effects. There is also discussion about using this technology for virtual reality video games and the potential consequences of its use.
moose
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/10/25/human.remote.control.ap/index.html

Thoughts?

I want to try it out on myself to see what it's like... but ehhh

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, great, this is all we need, people with iPods, wearing this thing and jerking uncontrollably all over the place. You just KNOW idiots will use it while driving.

I am into anything that advances the human race.

That's just scary.

Oh great, people worry about cell phones causing brain cancer, but don't think twice about sending electricity through their heads? And they wonder why they can't walk straight? :bugeye:

I found the experience unnerving and exhausting: I sought to step straight ahead but kept careening from side to side. Those alternating currents literally threw me off.

The technology is called galvanic vestibular stimulation -- essentially, electricity messes with the delicate nerves inside the ear that help maintain balance
This gross electrical over-riding of the delicate vestibular system is obviously dangerous, despite any claims made to the contrary. There'll be side effects and lawsuits down the road.

How can this be used for virtual reality video games? How many lives do you get? I suppose you can always put the helmet on another person when your first life expires.

Related to Human Remote Control: Experience It Yourself

1. How does the "Human Remote Control" work?

The "Human Remote Control" is a technology that allows a person to control the movements and actions of another person through a series of electrodes placed on the body. These electrodes send electrical signals to the muscles, causing them to contract and create movement.

2. Is it safe to use the "Human Remote Control"?

Yes, the "Human Remote Control" technology is safe to use. The electrodes used to send signals to the muscles are non-invasive and do not cause any harm to the body. However, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and not use the device for extended periods of time to avoid muscle fatigue.

3. Can anyone use the "Human Remote Control"?

No, the "Human Remote Control" technology should only be used by trained professionals. The process of using this technology involves knowledge of human anatomy and proper placement of electrodes to avoid any potential risks or discomfort for the person being controlled.

4. What are the potential applications of the "Human Remote Control"?

The "Human Remote Control" technology has a wide range of potential applications, including medical rehabilitation, virtual reality gaming, and military training. It can also be used in research studies to understand human movement and control in various situations.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Human Remote Control" technology?

Currently, the "Human Remote Control" technology is limited to controlling basic movements and actions of the person being controlled. It cannot control complex movements or thoughts. Additionally, the technology is still in its early stages and requires further research and development to improve its effectiveness and expand its capabilities.