How would negative mass interact with gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses the theoretical possibility of negative mass and how it would interact with gravity. The experts agree that there is no definitive answer as this is a hypothetical concept that has not been observed in reality. However, it is suggested that if negative mass were to exist, it would still accelerate towards the center of the Earth due to the gravitational force, but the repulsive force would be in the opposite direction.
Hawksteinman
Let's assume that negative mass is possible. How would it react with gravity?

Since F=ma, the acceleration would be in the opposite direction to the force applied. Keep this in mind :wink:

Now, the gravitational force, F=GMm/r2. Usually this force acts towards the centre of the Earth since 'G' is negative, which makes the overall force negative. Negative forces attract.

If mass is negative, then the force would be positive, and act away from the Earth. Positive forces repel. But since the object has negative mass, it accelerates in the opposite direction to the force, so fall towards the Earth! :-p

This makes sense if you think about it because all objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass, even massless objects o0)

Am I right? :woot:

Physics news on Phys.org
##F=ma## is here only a shorthand for ##F=GMm/r^2## where ##a = GM/r^2##. You therefore cannot use both equations to arrive at different results. (Edit: see my next post below.)

Last edited:
Likes Hawksteinman
DrClaude said:
##F=ma## is here only a shorthand for ##F=GMm/r^2## where ##a = GM/r^2##. You therefore cannot use both equations to arrive at different results.
So ma = GMm/r2 :frown:

Still, doesn't that mean the object will accelerate towards the Earth? :biggrin:

Kyx Revision said:
This makes sense if you think about it because all objects fall at the same rate regardless of mass, even massless objects o0)

Am I right? :woot:

There is no "right" here. The reason there isn't is because we've never observed objects with negative mass so we actually don't know how they would behave. And then there's the complication that you're asking about things in terms of classical mechanics when relativity says that gravity isn't a force at all, but a result of the geometry of spacetime. Would an object of negative mass not obey the laws of geometry? I'd say that we just don't know.

I should have put some more thought before replying. It is correct that the acceleration of gravity will be directed towards the center of the Earth even for negative mass (provided that mass is negative for both gravitational interaction and inertia). I'm not much of a relativist, by I guess that this is also what would be expected from general relativity.

Likes Hawksteinman

Related to How would negative mass interact with gravity?

What is negative mass?

Negative mass is a hypothetical concept in physics where mass has a negative value instead of the positive value we are familiar with. This means that it would have the opposite properties of normal mass, such as repelling other objects with negative mass instead of attracting them.

Does negative mass actually exist?

At this time, negative mass is purely a theoretical concept and has not been observed or proven to exist in the universe. However, some exotic particles such as tachyons and ghost particles are predicted to have negative mass, but their existence has not been confirmed.

What is the relationship between negative mass and gravity?

The relationship between negative mass and gravity is still not fully understood, as negative mass has not been proven to exist. However, some theories suggest that negative mass could have a repulsive effect on normal mass, resulting in a negative gravitational force.

Can negative mass cause anti-gravity?

Anti-gravity is a commonly used term, but it is not a scientifically accurate term. If negative mass were to exist, it would not necessarily cause anti-gravity. Instead, it would have a repulsive effect on normal mass, which could result in a reduction of gravitational force.

What are the potential implications of negative mass and gravity?

If negative mass were to exist and its properties were better understood, it could potentially have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and could potentially lead to the development of new technologies. However, further research and evidence are needed before any concrete implications can be determined.