How/When do you get to the point of solving textbooks easily

In summary, the conversation discussed the importance of learning how to formulate and solve questions as well as arriving at satisfactory conclusions in a PhD program. The skill of understanding where a question is coming from and being able to solve it was highlighted as a valuable one to develop early on. Categories and context were mentioned as helpful tools in understanding subjects, with set theory being particularly useful in mathematics. The idea of 'infinity' was also mentioned, with a working definition involving a measure of a Cantor set. Overall, concepts from math and physics, such as limits and infinitesimals, were noted as helpful in understanding arguments and reasoning in other subjects.
random_soldier
So I was having a discussion with one of my teachers and they mentioned along the way in my PhD, I would learn how to formulate and/or understand where a question is coming from, be able to solve it and know exactly when I arrive at a satisfactory conclusion.

This would be quite a handy skill to develop from the get go itself, if I did not misconstrue the meaning. Any/all here know what I am speaking of and how I would inculcate such an ability?

Physics news on Phys.org
Categories help me determine the subject. Example: a lecture mentions "polarity". Term common in electronics, physics, chemistry, even psychology. Context helps determine the category; the category includes 'tools' to understand the subject.

Set theory helps me understand almost everything in mathematics. For instance, people have difficulty grasping "infinity"? My working definition involves 'some measure of a Cantor set'. Example: counting numbers, limited set of integers, cardinality of the set. Choose the set that matches the data and the metric applicable to the context under discussion.

Many concepts from math and physics such as limits and infinitesimals help me understand arguments and reasoning in other subjects.

Related to How/When do you get to the point of solving textbooks easily

1. How do you develop a strong understanding of the material in textbooks?

To reach the point of solving textbooks easily, you must first develop a strong understanding of the material. This can be achieved by actively engaging with the material, taking notes, asking questions, and seeking out additional resources such as online tutorials or study groups.

2. When should I start practicing textbook problems?

It is recommended to start practicing textbook problems as soon as you have a basic understanding of the material. This will help solidify your understanding and identify any areas that may need further review. It is also important to continue practicing throughout the course, rather than waiting until right before an exam.

3. How can I make solving textbooks feel less overwhelming?

Breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks can make solving textbooks feel less overwhelming. It can also be helpful to create a study schedule and set specific goals for each study session. Additionally, taking breaks and staying organized can help with reducing feelings of overwhelm.

4. What strategies can I use to solve textbooks more efficiently?

One strategy is to read the textbook chapter before attending the corresponding lecture. This will help you to already have some familiarity with the material and can make understanding the lecture easier. Additionally, practicing problem-solving techniques such as creating diagrams or using mnemonic devices can also improve efficiency.

5. How do I know when I have reached the point of solving textbooks easily?

You may know you have reached the point of solving textbooks easily when you are able to understand and solve problems without feeling overwhelmed or unsure. Additionally, you may notice that you are able to complete problems more quickly and with less effort than before.