How to write the relationship of B and E in vector form

In summary, the conversation discusses the plane-wave modes of the electromagnetic field, which can be derived from the Maxwell equations. These modes involve transverse waves with a phase velocity of c and can be described using an ansatz involving electric and magnetic fields. The conversation also mentions a factor of 1/c which is likely due to the use of SI units.
garylau
http://www.physicspages.com/2014/08/22/electromagnetic-waves-in-vacuum/
Sorry
i have no idea how to get the last step in the vector form

how to convert and mix it?thank you

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 376
Physics news on Phys.org
These are obviously the plane-wave modes of the electromagnetic field. You start, of course, from the Maxwell equations with vanishing charges and currents (in Heaviside-Lorentz units),
$$\vec{\nabla} \times \vec{E}+\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{B}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B}-\frac{1}{c} \partial_t \vec{E}=0, \quad \vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E}=0.$$
You can use some manipulations to see that ##\vec{E}## and ##\vec{B}## obey the homogeneous wave equation for waves with phase velocity ##c##. From this to get the plane-wave modes you make the ansatz
$$\vec{E}=\vec{E}_0 \exp(-\mathrm{i} \omega t+\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{x}), \quad \omega(\vec{k})=c|\vec{k}|.$$
From the last Maxwell equation you get
$$\vec{\nabla} \cdot \vec{E} =\mathrm{i} \vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0 \exp(\cdots)=0, \; \Rightarrow \; \vec{k} \cdot \vec{E}_0=0,$$
i.e., the electric field is a transverse wave.

The first equation gives
$$\partial_t \vec{B}=-\mathrm{i} c \vec{k} \times \vec{E}_0 \exp(\cdots).$$
Integrating gives
$$\vec{B}=\frac{c \vec{k}}{\omega} \times \vec{E}_0 \exp(\cdots)=\hat{k} \times \vec{E}_0 \exp(\cdots)=\vec{B}_0 \exp(\cdots).$$
It's easy to check that this also solves the 2nd and the 3rd Maxwell equation. This shows that ##\vec{E}_0##, ##\vec{B}_0##, and ##\vec{k}## form a righthanded orthogonal set of vectors and ##|\vec{E}_0|=|\vec{B}_0|##.

The additional factor of ##1/c## in your figure comes most likely from the use of SI units. Indeed we have
$$|\vec{B}_{\text{SI}}|=\sqrt{\mu_0} |\vec{B}_{\text{HL}}|=\sqrt{\mu_0} |\vec{E}_{\text{HL}}|=\sqrt{\mu_0 \epsilon_0} |\vec{E}_{\text{SI}}|=\frac{1}{c} |\vec{E}_{\text{SI}}|.$$

Likes Dale and garylau

Related to How to write the relationship of B and E in vector form

What is the definition of "vector form" in terms of writing the relationship between B and E?

Vector form refers to expressing the relationship between two vectors, B and E, in terms of their magnitude and direction. This is typically represented using a mathematical notation, such as B = |B| * cos(θ) * i + |B| * sin(θ) * j, where i and j represent the unit vectors in the x and y directions, respectively.

What are the steps for writing the relationship of B and E in vector form?

The steps for writing the relationship between B and E in vector form may vary depending on the specific situation. However, some general steps include identifying the magnitude and direction of each vector, determining the components of each vector in the chosen coordinate system, and then combining these components using the appropriate mathematical operation (e.g. addition, subtraction) to form the vector equation.

Can the relationship between B and E be written in vector form without using mathematical notation?

Yes, it is possible to express the relationship between B and E in vector form without using mathematical notation. This can be achieved by using words or diagrams to describe the magnitude and direction of each vector, and then combining these descriptions to form the vector equation.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when writing the relationship of B and E in vector form?

One common mistake is forgetting to include the unit vectors in the vector equation. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the components of each vector in the chosen coordinate system. It is also important to make sure that the magnitude and direction of each vector are accurately represented in the equation.

Can the relationship between B and E be written in vector form if they are not in the same coordinate system?

Yes, it is possible to express the relationship between B and E in vector form even if they are not in the same coordinate system. In this case, it may be necessary to convert one or both vectors into the same coordinate system before combining them in the vector equation.