Tensor form of linear Hooke's law with E and v

• Engineering
  • Thread starter miraboreasu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor notation
In summary: Start with $$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu\epsilon_{yy}+\nu\epsilon_{zz}]$$Rewrite this as :$$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-2\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu(\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})]$$$$=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)}\epsil
miraboreasu
Homework Statement
Rewrite the linear Hooke's law with E and v
Relevant Equations
Linear Hooke's law
Actually, this is not homework, but I think I need help like homework. It was raised from the notice that there is no tensor form of linear Hooke's law in terms of Young's modulus E, and Poission's ratio, v. For example, if we use lame parameters, we have G, \lambda, like
1689866396660.png

The linear Hooke's law (vector-matrix form) is
1689866818129.png

(https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...-materials-makes-stress-undefined-in-hookes-l)

I tried to just use the relationship like:
E=
1689866498147.png

v =
1689866510947.png

but, it ends up with an equation with 2 roots (the first eq for get G= f (E)), so I think I need help about write the notation form directly from the vector-matrix form of the linear Hooke's law

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with $$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu\epsilon_{yy}+\nu\epsilon_{zz}]$$Rewrite this as :$$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-2\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu(\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})]$$$$=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)}\epsilon _{xx}+\frac{E\nu}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}(\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})$$$$=2G\epsilon_{xx}+\lambda (\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})$$

Chestermiller said:
Start with $$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu\epsilon_{yy}+\nu\epsilon_{zz}]$$Rewrite this as :$$\sigma_{xx}=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}[(1-2\nu)\epsilon_{xx}+\nu(\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})]$$$$=\frac{E}{(1+\nu)}\epsilon _{xx}+\frac{E\nu}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}(\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})$$$$=2G\epsilon_{xx}+\lambda (\epsilon_{xx}+\epsilon_{yy}+\epsilon_{zz})$$
Thank you, but sorry I didn't get it, how can I rewrite the vector-matrix form into the form like 2.9. I mean use tensor product, I, to represent the following
1689879602534.png

miraboreasu said:
Thank you, but sorry I didn't get it, how can I rewrite the vector-matrix form into the form like 2.9. I mean use tensor product, I, to represent the following
View attachment 329468
Look at my equation again. It’s too easy. You have:$$G=\frac{E}{2(1+\nu)}$$and $$\lambda=\frac{E\nu}{(1+\nu)(1-2\nu)}$$

1. What is the tensor form of linear Hooke's law?

The tensor form of linear Hooke's law is an equation that describes the relationship between stress and strain in a linear elastic material. It is written as σij = Cijklεkl, where σij is the stress tensor, Cijkl is the fourth-order stiffness tensor, and εkl is the strain tensor.

2. What do E and v represent in the tensor form of linear Hooke's law?

E and v are material properties known as Young's modulus and Poisson's ratio, respectively. Young's modulus (E) represents the stiffness of a material and Poisson's ratio (v) represents the ratio of transverse strain to axial strain when a material is subjected to stress.

3. How is the tensor form of linear Hooke's law different from the conventional form?

The conventional form of Hooke's law (σ = Eε) only applies to one-dimensional stress and strain. The tensor form, on the other hand, can be used to describe stress and strain in three dimensions and can account for anisotropic materials. It also includes the effects of Poisson's ratio.

4. Can the tensor form of linear Hooke's law be used for non-linear materials?

No, the tensor form of linear Hooke's law only applies to linear elastic materials. Non-linear materials, such as plastic or viscoelastic materials, require more complex equations to describe their behavior under stress.

5. How is the tensor form of linear Hooke's law used in engineering and science?

The tensor form of linear Hooke's law is used in many fields of engineering and science, such as solid mechanics, materials science, and structural engineering. It is used to predict the behavior of materials under stress and is essential in designing and analyzing structures and components.