Dot product in spherical coordinates

In summary: This is a problem from a course I'm taking on antennas. In summary, the author is trying to explain how to evaluate a radiation pattern. The step to evaluate the pattern is to find an expression for r'cosψ. It says to take the dot product between the vector r' and unit vector r. Like so...r'⋅ \hat r It gives the formula: r' cos ψ = \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat r = \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat x cosθsinφ + \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat y sinθsin
FrankJ777
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to understand how to take the dot product in spherical coordinates, if that is indeed what I'm supposed to be doing here?
I'm learing about antennas in a course, and we are using Jin's Electromagnetic text.
This isn't a homework problem, I'm just trying to understand what I'm supposed to do in this situation.

This part of the text discusses how to evaluate a radiation pattern.
One of the steps to evaluate the pattern is we have to find an expression for r'cosψ. (See diagram below.)
It says to find the expression, take the dot product between the vector r' and unit vector r.
Like so...[tex]r'⋅ \hat r[/tex]
It gives the formula:
[tex] r' cos ψ = \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat r = \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat x cosθsinφ + \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat y sinθsinφ + \textbf{r'} ⋅ \hat z cosθ [/tex]

I'm confused about what I'm supposed to do, and what I'm supposed to get as an output.

I see that, that expression is the identity for the r component when converting from cartesian to spherical, I'm not sure what's going on.
Am I supposed to convert r' and r_hat to cartesian then take the dot product?

What are the components. [tex]\hat x cosθsinφ [/tex] [tex]\hat y sinθsinφ [/tex] [tex]\hat z cosθ[/tex]
Do I find the θ and φ of r_hat?

I appreciate any help. I'm very confused.

1601953972291.png

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A unit vector ##\hat n## defined by the polar angle ##\theta## and azimuthal angle ##\varphi## is:
$$\hat n = \sin \theta\cos \varphi \ \hat x + \sin \theta\sin \varphi \ \hat y + \cos \theta \hat z$$
Note that this is the "physics" convention for ##\theta, \varphi##. The "maths" convention uses these angles the other way round. See, for example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system

Let's work with a Cartesian basis system ##\vec{e}_j##. The spherical coordinate system is then usually introduced by choosing ##\vec{e}_3## as the polar axis. The position vector is parametrized by spherical coordinates ##(r,\vartheta,\varphi)## as
$$\vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix} r \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ r \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ r \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}.$$
Where here and in the following all column vectors are referring to the Cartesian coordinates.

The holonomic basis of the spherical coordinates are given by
$$\vec{b}_r = \partial_r \vec{x}=\begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
$$\vec{b}_{\vartheta} = \partial_{\vartheta} \vec{x} =r \begin{pmatrix} \cos \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ -\sin \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
$$\vec{b}_{\varphi}=\partial_{\varphi} \vec{x} = r \begin{pmatrix} -\sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ 0\end{pmatrix}.$$
It's easy to see by takting the scalar products that these vectors are pairwise orthogonal and thus one usually uses a normalized basis, i.e., in each point there's a Cartesian basis spanned by tangent vectors on the coordinate lines. These vectors are
$$\vec{e}_r=\vec{b}_r=\begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
$$\vec{e}_{\vartheta}=\vec{b}_{\vartheta}/r=\begin{pmatrix} \cos \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ -\sin \vartheta \end{pmatrix},$$
$$\vec{e}_{\varphi}=\vec{b}_{\varphi}/(r \sin \vartheta) = \begin{pmatrix} -\sin \varphi \\ \cos \varphi \\ 0\end{pmatrix}.$$
In this order they build a right-handed Cartesian basis, ##\vec{e}_r \times \vec{e}_{\vartheta}=\vec{e}_{\varphi}## (and cyclic).

Now you can express any vector field with components wrt. this basis
$$\vec{V}(\vec{r})=V_r(r,\vartheta,\varphi) \vec{e}_r + V_{\vartheta}(r,\vartheta,\varphi) \vec{e}_{\vartheta}+ V_{\varphi}(r,\vartheta,\varphi).$$

Position vectors are somewhat special. Here you often need the relation between the angle ##\psi## between two position vectors ##\vec{x}## and ##\vec{x}'##. To evaluate this, it's more convenient to use the Cartesian components in terms of the spherical coordinates, i.e.,
$$\vec{x}=r \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta \cos \varphi \\ \sin \vartheta \sin \varphi \\ \cos \vartheta \end{pmatrix}, \quad \vec{x}'=r' \begin{pmatrix} \sin \vartheta' \cos \varphi' \\ \sin \vartheta' \sin \varphi' \\ \cos \vartheta' \end{pmatrix}.$$
Then by definition of the scalar product you have after using the cosine addition theorem
$$\vec{x} \cdot \vec{x}'=r r' \cos \psi = r r' [\sin \vartheta \sin \vartheta' \cos(\varphi-\varphi') + \cos \vartheta \cos \vartheta')].$$

Likes BvU

Related to Dot product in spherical coordinates

1. What is the formula for calculating the dot product in spherical coordinates?

The formula for calculating the dot product in spherical coordinates is:

a · b = |a| |b| cos θ

Where a and b are two vectors, |a| and |b| are their magnitudes, and θ is the angle between them.

2. How do you convert a dot product in Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert a dot product from Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates, you can use the following formula:

a · b = ax bx + ay by + az bz = |a| |b| cos θ

Where ax, ay, and az are the components of vector a in Cartesian coordinates, and bx, by, and bz are the components of vector b in Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the advantages of using dot product in spherical coordinates?

One advantage of using dot product in spherical coordinates is that it allows for easier visualization and understanding of vector operations in three-dimensional space. Additionally, it simplifies calculations involving spherical coordinates, which can be more complex than Cartesian coordinates.

4. How is the dot product related to the angle between two vectors in spherical coordinates?

The dot product is related to the angle between two vectors in spherical coordinates through the formula:

a · b = |a| |b| cos θ

Where θ is the angle between vectors a and b. This means that the dot product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the two vectors and the cosine of the angle between them.

5. Can the dot product be negative in spherical coordinates?

Yes, the dot product can be negative in spherical coordinates. This occurs when the angle between two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, resulting in a negative value for the cosine term in the dot product formula. A negative dot product indicates that the two vectors are pointing in opposite directions.