How to Use Vector Analysis Identity to Solve a Closed Loop Integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of showing a specific value for a closed loop integral using the alternative form of Stokes' theorem. The participants also mention an identity that can be used to derive this value and discuss various methods for obtaining the solution.
neelakash

Homework Statement

we are to show a=(1/2) closed loop integral over [r x dl]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I suppose this can be done formally from the alternative form of Stokes' theorem that can be obtained by replacing the vector field in curl theorem by VxC where C is a constant vector

The identity is :

surface int [(da x grad) x V]=closed loop integral over [dl x V]

The RHS matches.But how to show that LHS leads to the required value?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is an identity:
[tex]\oint{\bf dr\times V}={\bf \int(\nabla V )\cdot dS
- \int dS(\nabla\cdot V)}[/tex].
This can be derived by dotting the left hand side by a constatn vector, and then applying Stokes' theorem.
Applying this with V=r works.

Last edited:
OK,thank you.Your method worked nicely...
First I was sceptical about the grad V in your RHS...However,I started from the very beginning by dotting c with the required integral and it worked well.

There is an easier way I overlooked. Just take
[tex]{\vec k}\cdot\oint{\vec r}\times{\vec dr}[/tex]
where k is a constant vector, and apply Stokes' theorem.

Last edited:
I did just that...your dr reolaced by dl...

Related to How to Use Vector Analysis Identity to Solve a Closed Loop Integral?

What is a vector analysis identity?

A vector analysis identity is a mathematical expression that relates different vector quantities to one another, often involving operations such as dot and cross products.

Why is vector analysis identity important?

Vector analysis identities are important because they allow us to simplify and manipulate complex vector equations, making it easier to solve problems in physics and engineering.

What are some common vector analysis identities?

Some common vector analysis identities include the distributive property, the commutative and associative properties of addition, and the triple scalar product identity.

How can I use vector analysis identities in real-world applications?

Vector analysis identities are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating forces and velocities in physics, analyzing stress and strain in engineering, and creating computer graphics.

Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using vector analysis identities?

One common mistake when using vector analysis identities is to forget about the order of operations, such as multiplying before adding. It is important to carefully follow the rules of vector algebra to correctly apply these identities.