How to Use LaTEX: Tutorial & Tips

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter askor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation discusses frustration with using Latex on a forum and the parameters of transformers, specifically the open and short-circuit tests. The participants share their experiences with Latex and offer suggestions for troubleshooting.
askor
Can someone tell me how to write latex in this forum?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
While editing this post

Parameters of transformers: open and short-circuit tests

in "Preview", Latex quit showing what it was going to produce.

VERY FRUSTRATING

old jim
I have this sometimes if the connection is slow or going down, because "preview" requires a communication with AJAX (:mad:).
I usually have to restart the router in such cases.

Someone please remind me in January to change my ISP!

fresh_42 said:
I have this sometimes if the connection is slow or going down, because "preview" requires a communication with AJAX (:mad:).

Maybe i didn't wait long enough between successive edits.

So i posted and re-edited.

Computers are just that way. Endless workarounds.

Thanks for the validation !

old jim

jim hardy said:
Maybe i didn't wait long enough between successive edits.
Yep. You really need to be patient when doing a "PREVIEW".

I've had the same experience. PREVIEW is fine on new posts, but the lag is so bad on edits that I wonder if it's working at all, and I often end up just posting and re-editing many times.

Likes jim hardy

Related to How to Use LaTEX: Tutorial & Tips

1. What is LaTEX and why should I use it?

LaTEX is a typesetting software used for creating professional-looking documents, particularly in the fields of mathematics, science, and academia. It uses a markup language to format text and equations, resulting in high-quality and consistent output. It is often preferred over traditional word processors because of its ability to handle complex mathematical equations and its customizable templates for various types of documents such as research papers, presentations, and resumes.

2. How do I install LaTEX on my computer?

LaTEX is available for free and can be easily installed on any operating system. The recommended way to install LaTEX is through a distribution, such as MikTeX for Windows or MacTeX for Mac, which includes all the necessary packages and tools. You can also install a text editor, such as TeXstudio, to make writing and editing LaTEX documents easier.

3. How do I create a basic LaTEX document?

To create a basic LaTEX document, you need to first open your text editor and create a new file with the extension .tex. Then, you can start typing your document using LaTEX commands, such as \documentclass and \begin{document}, to define the document class and begin the document. You can then add text, equations, and other formatting commands to create your desired document.

4. How do I add images and tables in LaTEX?

To add images in LaTEX, you need to use the \includegraphics command and specify the file name and location of your image. You can also use the \caption and \label commands to add a caption and label to your image. To create a table, you can use the tabular environment and specify the number of columns and rows. You can then add content to each cell using the & symbol and end the row with \\.

5. How can I customize the appearance of my LaTEX document?

LaTEX provides several options for customizing the appearance of your document. You can change the font, font size, and formatting of your text using the \fontfamily, \fontsize, and \textbf commands, respectively. You can also change the page layout, add headers and footers, and adjust the spacing using the \geometry, \fancyhdr, and \linespread commands. Additionally, you can use various packages, such as graphicx and geometry, to add additional features and customization to your document.