What do you use to write formulas here in Physics Forum?

yungman
I was here over 10yrs ago, at the time, I use LaTex. You still using that today or there's something new?

I am encouraging my grand daughter to come to this forum as she's going to college soon. I don't want to tell her to learn the wrong thing as it's been over 10yrs already.

Thanks

Alan

Physics news on Phys.org
LaTeX.
The "LaTeX Guide" is still in the bottom left corner of the reply window.

Likes Math100, berkeman and yungman
It is actually MathJax and has some differences from ordinary LaTeX. E.g. we do not have all libraries, hence not all possible symbols, and we cannot add them, and the main difference is that we use ## as inline LaTeX tags instead of $. LaTeX is basically a compiler, and the web-communication needs an interpreter.

Likes Math100
I tend not to use LaTex, but I really should,

Thanks
Bill

• Wow
Likes Wrichik Basu
bhobba said:

Thanks
Bill
I use AutoHotKey and laid a few dozen shortcuts on my keyboard. No accidental Shift Lock anymore, no accidental turning Num Lock off, and yes, many shortcuts for LaTeX. \left. \dfrac{d}{d}\right|_{} or \begin{pmatrix}\end{pmatrix} or \begin{align*}

\end{align*}
are available by Alt+u, Alt+m, and Alt+i. \langle \rangle is Ctrl+y. Just make sure not to overwrite the usual necessities like Ctrl+c or Ctrl+a. I can write Latex almost as fast as ordinary text with my little helpers.

• Informative
Likes dextercioby and bhobba
LLMs can easily convert text equations to latex, for example with Bard:
1697554362273.png

or:
$$\begin{align*}\frac{\partial \rho}{\partial t} + \nabla \cdot (\rho \mathbf{u}) &= 0, \\\rho \frac{\partial \mathbf{u}}{\partial t} + \rho (\mathbf{u} \cdot \nabla) \mathbf{u} &= -\nabla p + \nabla \cdot \mathbf{T} + \rho \mathbf{g},\end{align*}$$

bhobba said:
Yes, and especially so in Insights articles.

Likes SammyS and berkeman

1. What software or program do you use to write formulas on Physics Forum?

I personally use LaTeX (pronounced "lay-tek") to write formulas on Physics Forum. It is a typesetting language that is commonly used in the scientific community for its ability to display complex equations and symbols.

2. Is there a specific way to format mathematical equations on Physics Forum?

Yes, Physics Forum follows a specific formatting style called "TeX/LaTeX" which is based on the LaTeX language. It uses various symbols and commands to display equations and formulas correctly. There are many online resources available to help with learning this formatting style.

3. Can I use any other software or program to write formulas on Physics Forum?

Yes, you can use other programs or software to write formulas on Physics Forum, but they may not display as clearly or accurately as LaTeX. It is recommended to use LaTeX or a similar typesetting language for the best results.

4. Do I need to have prior knowledge of LaTeX to write formulas on Physics Forum?

While having prior knowledge of LaTeX can be helpful, it is not necessary to write formulas on Physics Forum. There are many online resources and guides available to help with learning the basics of LaTeX and its formatting style for use on Physics Forum.

5. Are there any specific guidelines to follow when writing formulas on Physics Forum?

Yes, there are some guidelines to follow when writing formulas on Physics Forum. These guidelines include using the appropriate symbols and commands, using proper formatting and spacing, and ensuring the equations are clear and legible. It is also important to cite any sources or references for the equations used.