How to use cauchy integral formula

In summary, the conversation discusses when to use the Cauchy integral formula and why it is used in a specific question. The speaker also mentions the residue theorem as an alternative method, but the other person has not learned about it yet. Eventually, the speaker explains how to solve the problem using the Cauchy integral formula.
aruwin
Hello.
How do I know when to use Cauchy integral formula. Why do we use the formula in this question? As you can see in my attempt, I got stuck.
What is f(z), z, z​0 here?

Attachments

• IMG_6426.jpg
    IMG_6426.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 64
Physics news on Phys.org
aruwin said:
Hello.
How do I know when to use Cauchy integral formula. Why do we use the formula in this question? As you can see in my attempt, I got stuck.
What is f(z), z, z​0 here?

Instead of the Cauchy integral formula it is better for You to use the residue theorem that extablishes that...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} f(z)\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ \sum_{j} r_{j}\ (1)$

... where $r_{j}$ is a residue of the j-th pole of f(*) inside $\gamma$. In your case the only pole inside $\gamma$ is z=-i and is...

$\displaystyle r_{1} = \lim_{z \rightarrow -i} \frac{(z+i)}{z^{2}+1} = \lim_{z \rightarrow -i} \frac{1}{z-i} = -\frac{1}{2\ i}\ (2)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{z^{2}+1}= - \pi\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Instead of the Cauchy integral formula it is better for You to use the residue theorem that extablishes that...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} f(z)\ dz = 2\ \pi\ i\ \sum_{j} r_{j}\ (1)$

... where $r_{j}$ is a residue of the j-th pole of f(*) inside $\gamma$. In your case the only pole inside $\gamma$ is z=-i and is...

$\displaystyle r_{1} = \lim_{z \rightarrow -i} \frac{(z+i)}{z^{2}+1} = \lim_{z \rightarrow -i} \frac{1}{z-i} = -\frac{1}{2\ i}\ (2)$

... so that is...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{dz}{z^{2}+1}= - \pi\ (3)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

But I haven't learned about residue yet. So, I think I have to solve it using cauchy.

aruwin said:
But I haven't learned about residue yet. So, I think I have to solve it using cauchy.

Very well!... so we remember that the Cauchy integral formula supplies the value of an f(z) if z is inside a closed contour $\gamma$ in which f(z) is analitic...

$\displaystyle f(a) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i} \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{z-a}\ d z\ (1)$

If You choose $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z-i}$, $a=-i$ and apply (1) You obtain...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1 + z^{2}} = - 2\ \pi\ i\ \frac{1}{2\ i} = - \pi$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:
chisigma said:
Very well!... so we remember that the Cauchy integral formula give the value of an f(z) if z is inside a closed contour $\gamma$ in which f(z) is analitic...

$\displaystyle f(a) = \frac{1}{2\ \pi\ i} \int_{\gamma} \frac{f(z)}{z-a}\ d z\ (1)$

If You choose $\displaystyle f(z) = \frac{1}{z-i}$, $a=-i$ and apply (1) You obtain...

$\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1 + z^{2}} = - 2\ \pi\ i\ \frac{1}{2\ i} = - \pi$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I got it! Thanks!

Related to How to use cauchy integral formula

What is the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula is a fundamental result in complex analysis that allows for the evaluation of complex integrals along a closed contour. It relates the value of a complex function at a point inside a contour to the values of the function on the contour itself.

How is the Cauchy integral formula used?

The Cauchy integral formula is used in many areas of mathematics, including complex analysis, differential equations, and physics. It allows for the computation of complex integrals, which are often difficult to evaluate using traditional methods.

What are the requirements for using the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula requires that the function being integrated is analytic on and inside the contour of integration. This means that the function has a continuous derivative at every point within the contour.

What is the difference between the Cauchy integral formula and the Cauchy residue theorem?

The Cauchy integral formula and the Cauchy residue theorem are both important results in complex analysis, but they have different applications. The Cauchy integral formula is used to evaluate complex integrals, while the Cauchy residue theorem is used to compute the coefficients of a Laurent series expansion.

What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy integral formula?

The Cauchy integral formula has many real-world applications, including in the fields of engineering, physics, and finance. It is used to solve problems involving complex-valued functions, such as calculating the electric field around an object or evaluating the performance of a financial portfolio.