Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions

In summary: I would recommend trying a power series, but you might want to try a different basis for the $z$-coordinates.
ognik
(Wish there was a solutions manual...). Please check my workings below

Show $ \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = 0 $ by separating integrand into partial fractions and applying Cauchy's Integral theorem for multiply connected regions. For 2 paths (i) |z| = R > 1 (ii) A square with corners $ \pm 2 \pm 2i $

They also say direct use of Cauchy's Integral theorem is 'illegal' - am I right, that is because the 2 singularities make it multiply connected, so instead we use Cauchy's Integral formula?

$ \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = \int \frac{dz}{z - 0} - \int\frac{dz}{z-(-1)} $
Both singularities - z=0 and z=-1 - are interior, for both contours. (Is it OK to have z-0 like I have? I think I saw something about ${z}_{0} \: must\ne 0$?

$ \therefore \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = 2\pi i - 2\pi i = 0$ for both paths. Is that correct?

--------------------------------
I wondered if I could do it without p/fractions, so for path(i) set $ z=Re^{i\theta}, dz=iRe^{i\theta} d\theta $

I simplified that to $ i\oint\frac{d\theta}{Re^{i\theta}+1} $ ... would appreciate a hint for the next step?
(I think I shouldn't have that R, just $\theta - 0 \le \theta \le 2\pi $ ?)

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
(Wish there was a solutions manual...). Please check my workings below

Show $ \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = 0 $ by separating integrand into partial fractions and applying Cauchy's Integral theorem for multiply connected regions. For 2 paths (i) |z| = R > 1 (ii) A square with corners $ \pm 2 \pm 2i $

They also say direct use of Cauchy's Integral theorem is 'illegal' - am I right, that is because the 2 singularities make it multiply connected, so instead we use Cauchy's Integral formula?

Right. However, you could use the theorem indirectly by modifying the given contours in such a way that you can retain the original values. Could you see how to do that?

$ \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = \int \frac{dz}{z - 0} - \int\frac{dz}{z-(-1)} $
Both singularities - z=0 and z=-1 - are interior, for both contours. (Is it OK to have z-0 like I have? I think I saw something about ${z}_{0} \: must\ne 0$?

That should be fine. I don't think $z_0\not=0$ is required. The statement of the theorem mentions nothing about the value of $z_0$.

$ \therefore \int \frac{dz}{{z}^{2} + z} = 2\pi i - 2\pi i = 0$ for both paths. Is that correct?

Looks good to me!

--------------------------------
I wondered if I could do it without p/fractions, so for path(i) set $ z=Re^{i\theta}, dz=iRe^{i\theta} d\theta $

I simplified that to $ i\oint\frac{d\theta}{Re^{i\theta}+1} $ ... would appreciate a hint for the next step?
(I think I shouldn't have that R, just $\theta - 0 \le \theta \le 2\pi $ ?)

Maybe. I'm not entirely sure where to go next.

Ackbach said:
Right. However, you could use the theorem indirectly by modifying the given contours in such a way that you can retain the original values. Could you see how to do that?

I would deform the R>1 disc with a thin intrusion from the left (looks a bit like a left-facing pacman :-)), that left both singularities exterior to the now simply connected region. This creates a new 'internal' path, from the beginning to the end of the break in C, same direction, I will call that C2

Then, by Cauchy's Integral Theorem, $ \int_{C}^{} f(z)\,dz = \int_{C_2}^{} f(z)\,dz $,
IE $ \int_{C}^{} f(z)\,dz - \int_{C_2}^{} f(z)\,dz = 0$
-------------

Can anyone suggest a next step with my earlier attempt at using $ Re^{i\theta} $? I considered using a power series, but that included R and theta, and didn't converge...

Related to Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions?

The Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions is a mathematical concept that states that if a function is analytic in a closed region and has a simple pole at a point within that region, then the value of the integral of the function around the pole is equal to the residue of the function at that pole.

2. How is the Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions used in complex analysis?

The Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions is an important tool in complex analysis for calculating complex integrals. It allows for the evaluation of integrals that would otherwise be difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods.

3. What is a simple pole?

A simple pole is a type of singularity in complex analysis. It is a point at which a function is undefined, but the function can be expanded into a Laurent series with only one term containing a negative power of z. This term is called the principal part of the function at the pole.

4. What is the residue of a function at a pole?

The residue of a function at a pole is the coefficient of the term with a negative power of z in the Laurent series expansion of the function at that pole. It is often denoted by the symbol "Res" and can be used to calculate the value of integrals using the Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions.

5. Can the Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions be used for functions with multiple poles?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Theorem with partial fractions can be extended to functions with multiple poles. In this case, the theorem states that the value of the integral around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the residues of the function at all the poles enclosed by the contour.