Proof of Cauchy Integral formula

In summary, the conversation discusses the Cauchy Integral formula and its proof. It explains the use of $z={z}_{0} + re^{i\theta}$ and the importance of the invariance of integration on homotopic curves. It also touches on the concept of analytic functions being conservative and the relationship with the Cauchy-Riemann equations. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the use of different paths for the inner path and the significance of removing the radius in the equation.
ognik
Hi, looking at a proof of Cauchy Integral formula, I have (at least) one question, starting from the step below

$ \int_{{C}}^{}\frac{f(z)}{z-{z}_{0}} \,dz - \int_{{C}_{2}}\frac{f(z)}{z-{z}_{0}} \,dz = 0 $ , where $ {C}_{2}$ is the smaller path around the singularity at $ {z}_{0} $

Let $z={z}_{0} + re^{i\theta} $

Then $ \int_{{c}_{2}}^{}\frac{f(z)}{z-{z}_{0}} \,dz = \int_{{c}_{2}}^{}\frac{f({z}_{0} + re^{i\theta})}{re^{i\theta}}ire^{i\theta}\,dz $

Letting r->0 gives $ = if({z}_{0})\int_{{C}_{2}}^{} \,d\theta =2\pi i f({z}_{0}) $

I follow all that (hope I explain this well enough) - but after letting $z={z}_{0} + re^{i\theta} $, isn't this now different to the f(z) of the original contour? We let r tend to 0 for $ {C}_{2}$ , but C is some larger R?

Physics news on Phys.org
ognik said:
... but after letting $z={z}_{0} + re^{i\theta} $, isn't this now different to the f(z) of the original contour? We let r tend to 0 for $ {C}_{2}$ , but C is some larger R?
Yes, you are right, but any proof of the Cauchy's integral formula will use several and true properties. A silly but perhaps clarifying example:

If $f(x)=x,$ then $\displaystyle\int_{-2}^2f(x)\;dx=\int_{-1}^1f(x)\;dx=0,$ however $[-2,2]$ is larger than $[-1,1].$

Ah, what I was forgetting is that Cauchy's Integral theorem also shows that analytic functions within the simply connected region are path independent.

1. So all analytic functions will be conservative? This is also shown by the Cauchy-Riemann equations?

2. Random thought - are all real analytic functions conservative?

3. Please check my understanding - the 'starting step' I used, shows that it doesn't matter if the paths C and $C_{2}$ are of different lengths (radii). Therefore we can use any convenient path for the inner path, and it must be a path that allows us to remove the radius of that path from the equation?

(This is my second pass through the material, picking up on stuff that didn't sink in completely the first time :-))

ognik said:
So all analytic functions will be conservative?
Yes, on simply connected regions.
This is also shown by the Cauchy-Riemann equations?
Right.

Random thought - are all real analytic functions conservative?

If I understand your question, if $f:[a,b]\to \mathbb{R}$ is analytic, then $f$ has a primitive $F,$ hence $\displaystyle\int_a^bf(x)\;dx=F(b)-F(a).$ In that sense, we can say that $f$ is conservative.

Therefore we can use any convenient path for the inner path, and it must be a path that allows us to remove the radius of that path from the equation?
It seems to me that you are only talking about a technical reason, for example the possibility of removing the radius when computing an integral. There is a deeper and theoric reason: the invariance of integration on homtopic curves.

(This is my second pass through the material, picking up on stuff that didn't sink in completely the first time :-))
Third time's a charm. :)

Fernando Revilla said:
It seems to me that you are only talking about a technical reason, for example the possibility of removing the radius when computing an integral. There is a deeper and theoric reason: the invariance of integration on homtopic curves.

You are right and I hadn't even heard of holotropic curves, after some browsing I now have a vague idea of it and yes - that seems a big part of the justification for the technique, loosing the R is just a mathematical convenience. Thanks again.

Related to Proof of Cauchy Integral formula

1. What is the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a holomorphic function inside a simple closed curve to the values of the function on the boundary of the curve. It states that if f(z) is a holomorphic function inside a simple closed curve C, then the value of the function at any point inside C can be calculated by integrating f(z) along the boundary of C.

2. What is the significance of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula is significant because it allows us to calculate the values of a holomorphic function at any point inside a simple closed curve, without having to know the function's values at every point inside the curve. This makes it a powerful tool for solving complex analysis problems and has many applications in mathematics and physics.

3. How is the Cauchy Integral Formula derived?

The Cauchy Integral Formula can be derived using Cauchy's Integral Theorem, which states that the integral of a holomorphic function over a simple closed curve is equal to zero. By applying this theorem and using Cauchy's Integral Formula for the derivative of a function, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be derived.

4. Can the Cauchy Integral Formula be extended to functions with singularities?

Yes, the Cauchy Integral Formula can be extended to functions with singularities by using the Cauchy Residue Theorem. This theorem allows us to calculate the value of a function at a singularity by considering the residues (the values of the function at the singularities) and integrating over a contour that encircles the singularity.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Cauchy Integral Formula?

The Cauchy Integral Formula has many real-world applications, including in fluid dynamics, electrical engineering, and quantum mechanics. It is used to solve problems involving the flow of fluids, the distribution of electrical charges, and the behavior of particles in quantum systems. It is also used in the development of numerical methods for solving differential equations.