How to study future and previous subjects over the summer.

In summary, the speaker is an incoming 4th year Electronics Engineering student who wants to address their weak foundation in maths over the summer. They also want to study their courses in advance and avoid procrastination. However, they are unsure if they can cover all their subjects in two months without a teacher's help and also review previous courses. They share a checklist of their subjects for the upcoming semester and express their struggle with studying in advance during holiday periods. They mention that revising all subjects from year 1 to the most recent ones has worked well for them, but acknowledge that everyone is different. The speaker welcomes the listener to the forum.
Drex C
I am an incoming 4th year Electronics Engineering student. I sort of want to address my problem over the summer, the problem being that I have a weak foundation in maths. I do get above average scores in class despite this problem but I feel like it is holding me back. Also, I want to study my courses in advance and not procrastinate like I did last time. The problem is, I don't know if I could cover all my subjects in JUST two months without any help from a teacher and at the same time, review my previous courses.

This is our checklist by the way and the part boxed in red will be our subjects next semester.
http://postimg.org/image/xb6cun79z/
http://postimg.org/image/xb6cun79z/

Please, help me!

Physics news on Phys.org
During nearly every holiday period in my 3 years at university I've tried to study courses in advance, and while it's helped a little bit, it's never really worked despite many hours spent trying to study these new topics without lectures etc.
This is just me of course, perhaps for you, if you knuckle down you'll be able to make decent progress. It's not necessarily because the course is hard to understand without teachers guidance (although that does come into play), it's more the lack of structure. You might study a pile of stuff related to a topic and spend hours doing so, and then when you start the next semester, all that content is covered in the space of 10 minutes and didn't end up being a large part of the unit like you thought it was. That's not to say that you wasted your time though.

What i have found that works well, is revising all your subjects starting from year 1 (excluding the units which have no relation to your major), all the way up to the units you just finished. This sounds like a hefty task, but if you've put a decent amount of effort in in the past, then you'll find that revising old content is quite easy, and not overly time consuming. As i said, everyone is different, and so this may not work for you, it's just my two cents worth :). Hope it helps.

Oh and, welcome to the forum!

1. How can I effectively study for future subjects over the summer?

To effectively study for future subjects over the summer, it's important to have a plan in place. Start by creating a schedule that includes dedicated study time each day. Review any course materials or textbooks that you have for the upcoming subjects. Additionally, try to find supplementary materials, such as online tutorials or practice quizzes, to help you better understand the material. It's also important to take breaks and stay organized to avoid burnout and confusion.

2. How can I retain information from previous subjects over the summer?

To retain information from previous subjects over the summer, try to review the material periodically throughout the break. This can be done by creating flashcards, summarizing notes, or even teaching the material to someone else. It's also helpful to make connections between the previous subject and any upcoming subjects, as this can help reinforce the information in your mind.

3. Is it better to study for future or previous subjects first?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and learning style. Some people may find it helpful to start with future subjects and then review previous subjects, while others may prefer to start with reviewing previous subjects and then move on to future subjects. Experiment and see what works best for you.

4. How can I stay motivated to study over the summer?

Staying motivated to study over the summer can be challenging, but it's important to remember the benefits of studying. Set achievable goals for yourself and reward yourself when you reach them. Additionally, try to find a study buddy or join a study group to keep you accountable and motivated. Lastly, remind yourself of the end goal and how studying now will benefit you in the long run.

5. Is it necessary to study over the summer for future and previous subjects?

It depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If you want to maintain a strong academic standing or are preparing for advanced courses, then studying over the summer may be necessary. However, if you feel confident in your understanding of the material and do not have any upcoming exams or courses related to the subjects, then it may not be necessary to study over the summer. Ultimately, it's important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being and not overwork yourself during the break.